All reviews french toast turret room scrumptious breakfast lovely home wonderful stay front porch place to stay dale salida guests
Reviewed 24 March 2016

People stay at BNBs for the warmth of the hosts and the unique decor. This BNB completes that fantasy. A couple of things I noticed about my stay include the hospitality of the Innkeepers, the to-die-for breakfast and the quint town in which the BNB is located.

First off, Dale and Donna were absolutely lovely. I could tell that they seriously enjoy having guests and making new friends. They make you feel welcome as soon as you walk in the door. Also, rooms that are not booked are left open for guest to view. I enjoyed this because I got to see the "personality" of each room.

The food throughout my stay was above par. I mean sweet, but savory, smooth but yet crunchy. Dale should cook for the President. Lastly, the town of Saluda was nice and quite. My boyfriend and I spent the days running around mountain trails and nearby Asheville. Well, once we got back to the BNB, it was nice to be in a quint place.

The BNB did not have any TVs, as a previous review mentioned. I did not find this to be a bad thing. Personally, I found it refreshing to engage in conversation as oppose to technology.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 327meredithm
Reviewed 20 October 2015 via mobile

With a lot of B&B experiences behind us, we felt that this is one on a downward slide. The host was knowledgeable and talkative but the porch had not been swept in some time, two lights in our room did not work, the only refreshments were bottles of water in an unstocked refrigerator which did contain meals left by yesterday's guests, etc. There were no hair dryers and no TVs in the building, although there is Wifi which works best on the first floor. Be aware there is a 5% up charge if you book on line. I will not take the time to go on, but sadly we will not be recommending this B&B.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2015

The Oaks is a charming Victorian Bed and Breakfast located within walking distance of the lovely town of Saluda. The property is beautifully appointed and well maintained. Our room was clean, comfortable and a wonderful place to relax after a busy day. The hosts could not be more accommodating, friendly and warm. The breakfast portions are generous, the coffee delicious and the food is truly gourmet. The homemade biscuits are amazing. If you are into hiking, biking, kayaking, or the outdoors the Oaks is the perfect base in which to explore the beauty of both North and South Carolina while avoiding the crowds in Asheville. Give the Oaks a try, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2015

My husband and I stayed at The Oaks B&B for one precious night while on a business trip. I own a bicycle tour company and we were in town to scout a route and test food, lodging, etc... I know, it's a sweet gig. The Oaks is the perfect location for a cycling adventure. Just steps from dining, shopping, wine, etc... And located on one of the most popular cycling routes in the area. We stayed in the yellow room. The bed was very comfortable. The rooms are all generous in size. The common areas are so comfy and well appointed. But all of this is just icing...the real charm is found in the innkeepers, Dale and Donna. They are welcoming and gracious. And the breakfast was delicious and served with never-ending coffee.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very nice and well appointed.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2015

We loved our stay, which was indulgent since we live only 1 hour away... but wanted to overnight in the charming town of Saluda, and had heard great things about Dale and Donna and this B&B. We were not disappointed.
The property is clean, very well-appointed, and filled with history and period pieces... but not to the point of being overwhelmed. Donna and Dale are polite, warm, generous, accommodating and interesting people... you might call them friends, after just one night!
They also pay attention to the details, and look to anticipate your needs, which is just what we all secretly want when we're getting away from it all, eh?
We particularly enjoyed the ability to walk "to town" (maybe 3 blocks?) for food and entertainment, strolling beautiful Saluda... and then walk back to the seclusion of the house. We won't soon forget our summer evening on the porch enjoying a few glasses of wine as the day ended, quiet jazz playing inside and the fireflies outside.
Finally, breakfast was delicious, classic but with Dale's unique twist. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple