“Filthy hostel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tanunda
Barossa Backpackers
Reviewed 30 October 2014 via mobile

Disappointing stay as the hostel was in such a filthy state. It had not been cleaned properly for ages. Everywhere you looked, you saw dirt.

The kitchen was the biggest mess. You could not cook in there even if you wanted to. It was so unhygienic, full of dirty dishes that are left for days, all the countertops dirty/filthy. I have never seen a kitchen as dirty as there. Even one of the staff agreed with me but felt like they had lost the battle against guests not caring to clean after themselves.

It is a working hostel and the people staying there seem quite young. Lots of noise, partying till whee hours, screaming in the middle of the night. There is no night manager so nobody is in charge.

The rooms are tiny and messy due to guests staying long term. No air con so it can get quite hot during the day. No vacuuming of rooms so they are also full of dust. Not cool if you are sensitive to dust as an allergic person.

Barossa valley and Tanunda are lovely places to visit but I highly recommend staying somewhere else.

Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
12  Thank LumiQ
Derek H, Manager at Barossa Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2015

Hi Elina,
Thank you for your feed back.
Barossa Backpackers employees 2 full time cleaners who clean everyday in the morning.
This include cleaning the Kitchen and Rooms Daily.
The photo you took was from before the cleaners had arrived on a Sunday Morning after the backpackers had a party.
We have signs and ask guests to make them clean up after themselves out of respect for there fellow guests. If this is not done we fine guests from there deposits.
As for the dust we try our hardest to remove it we do live in country South Australia so there is bound to be dust in this location its apart of country experience.
Backpacking is not suited for everybody and some people are more comfortable sleeping in hotels as opposed to mixing with other travellers.
We suggest you may be more suited for staying in hotels instead of the backpacking adventure experience.
Kind Regards
Managment

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Thank you Barossa Backpackers. You saved me big time I had 3 months to get my 88 day visa and I got it today no problems!
I found the hostel with a Gum Tree ad which looked fine compared to other hostels I researched and reviewed.
I came to the hostel by myself and met some fellow English guys who were in the same boat and together we work off the 88 days and best of all had a blast!
The hostel itself is super clean, staff are super friendly, they have there own transport to work. The only negative is that you have to pay for the internet but there is a free library down the road and it is 200 meter walk to the center of town with an expensive supermarket.
All in all great times, great people.
Thanks again
Andy

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AndyPadgett
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here for 3 months Jan- April working in a potato factory which the hostel organised for me and it was an amazing experience! I never planned on staying in the Barossa for that long and I made some of the best friends on my whole trip in Australia (including Edward personal joke). Hostel is cleaned Daily thanks Debbie! Owner Dereck can be a bit over strict sometimes but reception staff Sam and Lyle are super cool and got along great with them. Bad thing is that I had to wait 1 week till work started because of weather or something and internet could be free and breakfeast in the morning for free would be good like other hostels.

Overall good fun great time and would recommend this to anyone looking for a good working hostel,

Catch you guys next vintage
Tom J

Room Tip: Stayed in room 5 for 3 months never changed rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tom_J101
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I booked the family room for a week starting on a Tuesday in April. The room was coated in red bull dust. That night the itinerant backpackers partied on till 2-30am. No night manager and all the secured doors were left open. Calls to the security firm didn't help. Apparently curfew is broken most nights during vintage and then other users are up at 6am to start all over again. I obtained a refund and left and stayed in town. There is no respect for fellow travellers so don't stay there if a permanent party is offensive to you.

• Stayed: April 2013
14  Thank SydneyLoretta
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This was my first stay at a backpackers but we were very impressed and would definitely do it again. The backpackers is right on the property of a great winery (chateau tanunda) and right near town which was a great location. The manager and owner were really helpful and even offered to organise one of the other backpackers to take us around to the winerys in one of the barossa backpacker vans which turned out to be a lot cheeper than going on any other tours.
We stayed for 2 nights over the weekend with friends and chose the private rooms option. Overall it was a great stay with clean bedrooms, clean bathrooms and lively common areas. Great place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends