See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stay in a lot of bed and breakfasts and this one has a terrific location and good off street, secure parking. Downtown is an easy ten minute walk and the neighborhood is lovely and eminently walkable.

The inn itself is clean but definitely older and room was dark for our taste. We are big coffee drinkers and were amazed to find only instant coffee packs available round the clock when most have gone to Keurig.

Others have commented on the dog barking. Likely a good warning to the innkeeper but very irritating to guests on the first floor.

Prices are competitive but we would think twice before going back. We see many positive reviews for this inn and wouldn't denigrate it but wouldn't rate it beyond good.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Ontheroadagain449
OakwoodRaleigh, Owner at Oakwood Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

I appreciate your comments, however, I would encourage you or any guests staying in the future to bring things to my attention while you are at the Inn and I will take steps to make your stay more enjoyable.

We try to be very conservative with our natural resources. The Keurig machine uses coffee pods that are not earth friendly. I would have gladly made you a pot of coffee in the evening and put it in a pot that retains heat for eight hours.

Chouffe is a rescued miniature poodle. He likes to bark when people arrive or call me to the door. I can limit his barking by shutting him in my quarters when guests arrive but it would be a bit harder when a guest has a question. Even though it is harder, I would make every effort to keep him further back in the Inn during the day if he is becoming bothersome ~ I just need to know.

The house was built in 1871 and we try to retain that charm. It is obviously something we could not have changed during your stay.

I would hope that you would give us another try!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed in the Polk Room for a few evenings while on business in Raleigh. It is, as is the entire house, decorated with antique furniture and accessories. What a beautiful claw footed tub too! This room had a private porch overlooking the landscaping in the front of the Inn. We also sat in the back among the pretty flowers, birds, and huge trees. The neighborhood is charming and historic. We walked to the legislative building and am awesome Austrian restaurant. Doris furnished the Inn beautifully and it was lovely to get to know her (and her adorable little grandson). We loved the breakfasts, fresh fruit, home grown mint and the fancy egg entrée. We highly recommend this bed and breakfast and the neighborhood. Take the time to walk around the neighborhood with the map describing the homes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 82Natalie

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words and Charlie loved that he got a review mention.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Oakwood Inn this past week and had what I'd honestly say was the best BnB stay we've ever experienced! Doris & Gary are truly charming hosts, their breakfasts are nothing short of spectacular (and we are picky!) and the Inn is so tastefully decorated one feels as if you're living in royalty. Chatting with Doris and Gary was fun and engaging and evenings on their beautiful porch quickly became a splendid focal point of our stay. This is the go-to place for Raleigh, no doubt about that, we'll be back! Mike M, May '14.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so humbled. You have truly made my day. Thank you for staying at the Oakwood Inn and for your kind words.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I, along with friends, have stayed at this B&B at least four times over the past several years. The inn keepers, Doris and Gary, are both very friendly and accomodating. The house is beautiful and inviting and the historic neighborhood is really fabulous with mature trees, birds and great homes and streets to walk down. They are within walking distance of downtown as well as several restaurants and great beer bars nearby. The house itself is well maintained and comfortable - both inside and out. There is ample parking in the back of the house as well as street parking (on weekends).

We stayed in the Lane room during our most recent visit. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and inviting. The only complaint I have was that the shower situation was a bit uncomfortable. There is a clawfoot tub in the room (which I can appreciate for its addition to the ambiance) with a shower curtain fully surrounding the tub. It was a bit tight in there and could cause some issues for people who might be claustrophobic.

Breakfasts were delicious and complete with coffee, tea, juice and fresh fruit. As other reviewers mentioned, there are fresh baked cookies every day and a small room with a fridge, water, etc. for guests. It was very nice to sit out on the porch with a cup of coffee after breakfast and plan the day.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Oakwood Inn and will be staying here again in the future I'm sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thumper1223
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Had a wonderful experience here. Price was very reasonable. We loved the house and felt very much at home. Met great people at breakfast which was delicious and very unique. The location couldbt have been more perfect. Will definitely visit again!

• Stayed: February 2014