See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I, along with friends, have stayed at this B&B at least four times over the past several years. The inn keepers, Doris and Gary, are both very friendly and accomodating. The house is beautiful and inviting and the historic neighborhood is really fabulous with mature trees, birds and great homes and streets to walk down. They are within walking distance of downtown as well as several restaurants and great beer bars nearby. The house itself is well maintained and comfortable - both inside and out. There is ample parking in the back of the house as well as street parking (on weekends).

We stayed in the Lane room during our most recent visit. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and inviting. The only complaint I have was that the shower situation was a bit uncomfortable. There is a clawfoot tub in the room (which I can appreciate for its addition to the ambiance) with a shower curtain fully surrounding the tub. It was a bit tight in there and could cause some issues for people who might be claustrophobic.

Breakfasts were delicious and complete with coffee, tea, juice and fresh fruit. As other reviewers mentioned, there are fresh baked cookies every day and a small room with a fridge, water, etc. for guests. It was very nice to sit out on the porch with a cup of coffee after breakfast and plan the day.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Oakwood Inn and will be staying here again in the future I'm sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thumper1223
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Had a wonderful experience here. Price was very reasonable. We loved the house and felt very much at home. Met great people at breakfast which was delicious and very unique. The location couldbt have been more perfect. Will definitely visit again!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank MCPENNINGTON
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed 2 nights in the Pell room and loved it. It had a little private balcony, fireplace and charming character. Breakfast was delicious and the hospitality was wonderful. We were running late for our check-in yet we were met at the door with a nice warm welcome. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was luxurious.

Room Tip: My only caveats to a couple deciding on a room at this inn has to do with the tub and TV. This particular room has a historical clawfoot tub which is too small for a couple to use together and the TV is located in a very awkward spot making it fine for catching the news, but not the greatest for watching a movie in bed.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ColleenNC
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last night. It was a beautiful charming place. We needed to be in downtown Raleigh for a Winter Ball and this w as a charming relaxing place to stay. The house is in the National Historic Registry. The host's Alvin and Angela welcomed us warmly and graciously. They were so kind to get us settled and oriented. The rooms were comfortably appointed in time pieces that really make you appreciate history. The decor and grounds were really kept up nicely even in the dead of winter. Angela made a wonderful breakfast that started our morning on a high note. They along with their son gave us a warm feeling that sometimes is lost in the hospitality industry. Thanks again for everything and if we get a chance to need to stay in Raleigh again we will come back. No more big box hotel for us. The Oakwood area surrounding the house is so wonderful and if you appreciate architecture this is where you want to stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
OakwoodRaleigh, Owner at Oakwood Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

I am so happy that you are happy! Angela and Alvin are a great asset at the Oakwood Inn. I appreciate your business and hope you get a chance to come and visit again.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I booked a quick getaway to celebrate our wedding anniversary in Raleigh, a city we hadn't yet visited since moving to NC 3 years ago. We always stay in B&B's but the selection in Raleigh was lacking. When we arrived (8 pm on a Friday evening), the inn keepers seemed perturbed even though we had called ahead and warned them we were running late due to traffic. There were issues with their credit card system, so they would only accept cash or check! We settled into our room (The Polk Room) which was very nice and had antique bathroom fixtures, comfy king bed and a little front porch. Breakfast was delicious the next morning and we enjoyed the company of the other guests (family from Europe visiting their son at NC State). However, the hospitality from the inn keepers was lacking - almost as if they were just going through the motions. For the money, I'd probably just spend my money at a nice hotel in downtown Raleigh!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

There was an Interim Innkeeper at the Inn when you stayed in August. I apologize that you feel the hospitality was lacking and would like to assure that is not the way we run our business. In regard to the credit card problem, we had explained in our confirmation that there was an issue and it really took close to three weeks to resolve. Thank you for staying at the Oakwood Inn and I sincerely hope you give us another chance in the near future!