“Delicious Cuban/Argentine Food”

Cuisines: Argentinian, Cuban, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2018

Amazing food! We wanted to try everything so we just asked the waitress for her favorites. The Roasted Pork was flavorful, the Picadillo was delicious and our favorite was the Chicken Napolitana! The choice of sides is unique and fun with fried yuca, fried plantains, black beans, red beans, spinach and rice, mashed potatoes, I want to go back to Raleigh just to go eat here again!!! The service was excellent. This place has a real family run feel.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

My wife and I dined here and had truly yummy breakfast. The menu is not huge but what we choose was incredible. My wife had eggs, grits and cuban toast and I had a omelet,cuban toast and we both had the plantains. The cuban toast and and omelet where both great but the plantains where out of this world. The atmosphere is low key and causal. We will be back!

Reviewed 21 January 2018

I ordered grilled chicken for lunch--didn't eat much of it. This is about as far away from "farm to table" as you can get. The side salad had iceberg lettuce with my choice of bottled dressings!?!. The chicken was tiny cut-up pieces, complete with of gristle; seemed like it was prepared the day before. Not inexpensive--my bill was over $20 with drink and tip. The server was attentive. Cozy atmosphere- we sat in a booth which was comfortable.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

We go here on weekends for a great breakfast and also sometimes for lunch and dinner (the Chimi Steak is great and a "must" is the Rice with spinach. Always good, filling and tasty food at Oakwood Cafe!

Reviewed 14 November 2017

Maybe I was expecting more exciting, different and innovative fare. While the food was certainly good, there wasn't the anticipated novelty of Cuban/Argentinian cuisine that I was hoping for. The Cuban Pork sandwich was just an average example - no abundance of or especially flavor-packed pork, along with a hint of cheese and grainy mustard with thin pickles on toasted panini roll. I've had many better, even at gas station eateries. Sadly, the fried yucca was an oil-soaked downer as not a hint of seasoning was applied. Fortunately the house hot sauce was there for the rescue. The wife had Steak Palomillo, which was merely thinly sliced beef sauteed heavily in onions, again devoid of seasoning enhancement - the flavor result was reminiscent of liver & onions more than steak. The mashed potato side was just bad. Highest praise is reserved for the side of black beans & rice, which actually was more flavorful than the entrees! Service was fine. The dining room is tiny and plain. Parking is extremely limited, meaning circling for street spots is required, and at lunch that could put you 3 blocks away. All of it adds up to a thoroughly mediocre experience, when we'd hoped to find intriguing food and atmosphere. One and done for me.

Been to Oakwood Cafe? Share your experiences!