“Amazing surprise!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pilot Mountain
Dr. Flippin's Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My cousin and I were driving from Williamsburg to Ohio and decided to spend a night in the Pilot Mountain/Mt. Airy area to visit the Mayberry section of Mt. Airy again. I came across Dr. Flippin's B&B on the internet, prices were reasonable and so I chose this as our first U.S. bed and breakfast experience. It was so much better than the pictures showed. Charlotte was the warmest, most hospitable host you could ask for. We loved our room, the Carriage Room, and enjoyed looking at the other rooms and the rest of the property. We also loved hearing about the history of the home, she is truly dedicated to making it the best it can be. Her taste is exquisite, and rivaled only by her culinary skills. She has such attention to detail, your head is constantly going from side to side to take it all in. The home and the grounds were immaculate. The beds were beyond comfortable, pillows were not cheap flat pillows, I do believe they were memory foam. She provided big, soft towels, and there was reading material in the room, along with a small tv. We slept well and wakened to the smell of baking muffins, but there was so much more to breakfast, all of it presented beautifully. We found her to be a wonderful hostess from the time we booked until the time we pulled out of the driveway (huge parking area in back of the B&B which was a plus!).

Room Tip: Just look carefully at the website.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank NCGrandma

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We were celebrating my birthday with friends - 2 rooms , same price, but they were dramatically different - our friends were very disappointed with their accommodations, and honestly and accurately described their disappointments in a detailed review viewed on this webpage. However, to be fair, our accommodations nurtured a different experience. The irritants our friends described in great detail were true, and their disappointing accommodations magnified their discontent. However, our room provided accommodations that not only met our needs, but actually exceeded expectations. Because of this, the irritants were offset by our satisfactions. The bed was comfortable, the room was a good size, the decor was attractive and antiques were relevant to time period, and all was impeccably clean. However, the greatest highlight for my wife and I, was the bathroom. The clawfoot bathtub was newly glazed, the burgundy towels and accessorizes were lush and inviting, the layout of the bathroom was uncluttered, good sized and with efficient layout., electrical and plumbing updated The herbal bath amenities were copious and my soak in the high sided clawfoot bathtub was something to behold. So fair is fair, even though our friends did not have the same experience because they had nothing exceptionally good to offset the negatives. Finally, the breakfast was good and in a very pleasant dining room; however, there was no choice of food preference nor quantity, and the coffee wasn't hot or fresh. John and Chris Roeback, Durham, N.C.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John R
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We were traveling with friends. We had 2 rooms. Hosts Gary (pleasant and helpful) and Charlotte (unpleasant). Charlotte wasn't friendly at all after I asked that she provide normal services. Front door lock needs replacing . Extremely hard to lock or unlock. Room descriptions were inaccurate. Items said to be in the room were actually in the corridor or missing entirely. Example : 1800's trunk was in hall, instead a 1940's "Lane" hope chest was in room. "Thomas" radio , no where to be found.
Oh, yeah ! Bring magnifier for TV viewing . Just because the room is old doesn't mean the TV has to be. "12-14" screen . It was in color . Silverfish in bath tub. Plastic under bed pad makes awful noises when you move in the bed. Bed pad needs upgrading.Clothing irons in both rooms were n-a-s-t-y . Charlotte's response : " Borrow your friend's iron", which turned out to be equally nasty. ... No! Charlotte's alternative, paraphrased "Clean it yourself." ....Not happening! After a stare down she took it and "brillo padded" it. Scratched but cleaner.
The "Breathtakingly beautiful chandeliers" were neither breathtaking nor beautiful. "A velvet loveseat" is a practically unusable bench with a back. "Includes full gourmet breakfast." A sad joke on the guests. I would recommend the Hardee's across the street."Gourmet" breakfast was without choices. Day old ( maybe more) muddy coffee. Croissant with spicy sausage paddy and cheese. Vanilla yogurt with blueberries. Orange juice. ( No seconds offered ).
( There was a cheese danish which was not offered but that took a piece . It was good.)
Grounds were unspectacular.
Wi-fi connecting password info missing from the "notebook". Charlotte once again acted annoyed when I asked for replacement to be provided. The "notebook" and brochures at entrance appear to be very dated. Like 2004 . Example : Neighbor's Convenience is now Circle K.
Charlotte added another unnecessary awkwardness by giving our requested room to our friends. They made reservations after me.

You can do better. Wait for Gary to fire Charlotte or for Charlotte to have the stick removed.
A past guest wrote there is a book, The World's Shortest Book, in the livingroom : " What Men Know About Women".

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
14  Thank TravelsALotAlpha
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I visited Dr. Flippin's B & B last November, and have been meaning to post a review ever since. I cannot say enough good things about my room there, or the hospitality and food of the propietor Charlotte York.
I arrived late at night, and Mrs. York had the room ready and inviting, with a charming electric fire, luxurious bedding, and beautiful antique touches decorating the room. She also upgraded my room to the Honeymoon Suite, even though I was traveling alone.
As I had a long drive ahead of me, Mrs. York got up early to cook me a gourmet breakfast, which was delicious and robust . Mr. York spent several minutes helping me map out my trip. They were both amazingly gracious and welcoming.
Dr. Flippin's Bed & Breakfast far surpassed all my expectations in beauty, comfort, hospitality, and food. My only regrets are that I couldn't stay longer, and that I didn't get to explore Pilot Mountain. If I could give Dr. Flippin's 10 stars, I would!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Christie5679
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We wanted to take a "mini" vacation closeby on our way to Duke to visit our daughter. We are avid bicyclists and wanted to explore the area with long bike rides each day...and that we did. Little traffic, beautiful scenery. The room was comfy and clean. The breakfast each day was delicious. The inkeepers were very attentive and helpful in making our stay comfortable. We had the whole place to ourselves for the entire 4 days we stayed during the week.

We were right in downtown, which is not much of a town at all. The dining experience was below par with very little choices of restaurants.

If you want to do a biking vacation, this is a great place to stay. Not much else doing in Pilot Mountain. Dr. Flippin's was great! But the town itself was uninteresting and boring.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bicyclingguest

Been to Dr. Flippin's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!