“Best stuffed lobster....service no”
Review of Tale of The Whale

Tale of The Whale
Ranked #10 of 92 Restaurants in Nags Head
Price range: US$18 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, View, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated for 38 years, we serve the finest and freshest local seafood, choice steaks, salads, pastas, chicken and more. We pay attention to every detail to ensure your meal is memorable and delicious! Enjoy casual dining overlooking the Roanoke Sound, and live music (in season) in our waterfront gazebo. Come early and enjoy your favorite cocktail outdoors overlooking the water, or in our indoor bar. We offer an extensive wine list, a lighter fare menu, childrens’ menu and more. We welcome children, families and parties of all sizes, and offer comfortable booths for a romantic dinner for two. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed 8 September 2016 via mobile

There were 9 of us at a lovely table with a magnificent view of the water. Our waitress rattled off all the specials so fast we had to ask her to repeat some of them. The food was great with the exception of the filet which was tough. The waitress rushed us thru the meal seeming anxious for us to finish. I would return again and hope for another waitress. Would suggest not to order steak in a fish house.

Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

This restaurant was exactly what I had in mind for dinner. My girlfriend and I were scheduled for a private charter cruise on a 41' sailboat in Manteo. During the cruise and at sunset, I planned to propose marriage. This restaurant fit the occasion perfectly. She said yes to marriage and the restaurant delivered a spectacular meal after our cruise. The service from our attendant was exactly as you would expect from an eatery positioning itself at the top of fine establishments.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

This is the second time I've had a meh experience with my food here, and he had a great one. I guess I'm just ordering the wrong things. The atmosphere here is wonderful and there was no wait like I was used to from days of in-season visits here. Our waitress was very nice and even though we were set back, the farthest from the windows, we had a lovely sunset colored view. (it looks south across the sound) There are relaxing decks and a gazebo outside. The bread is very messy crusty- but also delicious. His scallops were amazingly good. We both liked the mashed potatoes and the green beans. Unfortunately my crab norfolk gratin with shrimp was chock full of little green pepper bits, which completely ruined the experience. :( I picked through about half because I was hungry and it was so expensive. I wish it had mentioned the peppers on the menu. He ended up sharing his scallops and eating all my shrimp. We had creme brulees to make up for it, but they were a little colder in the middle than I would like. Still tasty, but I came away with a negative dinner. Oh well. I will be back to try again in a few years. Yay for Tale of the Whale anyway!

Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

From the potent cocktails to the bread,salad, seafood, steak and incredible dessert tray, this waterfront restaurant delivered on every front. Our friends back home had raved about it, and now we know why. The service was excellent, the wait was short and the atmosphere casual with a touch of elegance. It is pricey, but worth the splurge.

Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

Tale of the whale meets its expectations that we get every year. I got the fried seafood platter, was decent, flounder was too thick. They need to get rid of the bread and change it for something that doesn't make quite the mess. All of us got desserts and they were all decent, the hummingbird tasted better than the lack luster chocolate cake. Still a decent experience and we will continue coming back every year.