“A Must Visit in OBX”

Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Grill
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Blue Moon Beach Grill is located at MP 13 in sunny, downtown Nags Head. We are just down the road from Jockey's Ridge in Surfside Plaza. We are open 7 days a week from 11:30 AM till 9:00 PM. Our goal is to provide each customer with a "once in a blue moon" dining experience.
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

This restaurant continues to deliver exceptional food at each visit. Situated in a shopping plaza, it is not in a “fancy” location. It doesn’t have to be because the food speaks for itself. Order anything, it will be good. My favorite for lunch is a steak sandwich with their homemade cheese sauce, honestly the best I have ever had. So good that I brought one home to eat after the long drive home to PA! The wait can be long, so get there early.

Date of visit: September 2018
Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Thanks for the nice review WarmWeatherLovers from Pittsburgh, Pa. We too hail from Pittsburgh (back in the day), and were ColdWeatherHaters, which was a contributing factor in us falling in love with this sandbar called the Outer Banks. As they say, the rest is history. I am delighted to hear you think our food is exceptional......we aim to please. We also appreciate your business and say......Cheers and bon appetit!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,333)

Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

On the surface, this little place may not look like much but oh so good. It is always packed, so don't let the wait deter you. It is worth the wait. Homemade, authentic and is everything you want in a local, fresh seafood experience. My fav at the OBX.

Date of visit: September 2018
Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2018

Angelique C, thanks so much for taking the time to give us a nice "shout out". We sincerely appreciate your business and the entire staff thanks you. Folks like you sustain us. Cheers and bon appetit!!

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

I have been coming to this establishment since it was a single storefront. There has always been a wait at peak, but the food and service made it worthwhile.

As I write this review, I am sitting at the bar eating great food with a friendly bartender. The good news, that has not changed.

Factors in my conundrum are perhaps the “new to me entrance”, the 3/4 people waiting to seat me, or the statement by one of them that the owners are no longer “involved” in the daily operation. Still a great place, but definitely more of a chain mentality. Add to that the insults from management on this site, and it does leave questions about what changed.

1  Thank Gastronome505
Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Thank you Gastronome505 for visiting Blue Moon. We appreciate your business. As one of the owners, I would like to address your "what's changed ?" question. Can you believe its been almost 10 years since we were in "one storefront"? As you can imagine, much has changed.

The owners are still very involved, but at different levels. We now have four store fronts and two restaurants, and we have added 4 kids to the tribe......big changes. Now instead of 4 employees, we have over 60 at Blue Moon, 120 total. These big changes require owner involvement at much different levels. Currently at Blue Moon we employ 4 full time front of the house managers, an executive chef, and two sous chefs. These individuals allow the owners to manage the two restaurants at a much different level. I assure you there is no "chain mentality" at Blue Moon Beach Grill. However, growth does necessitate appropriate changes, otherwise we would fail miserably. . Payroll and insurance are very time consuming, as is accounting, vendor relations, leases, social media, marketing, human resources, operational repairs, etc., etc. So the employee that said the owners weren't involved on a day to day basis, should have said the owners are very involved, but often doing necessary things behind the scenes. We are no longer cooking or acting as a hostess. Instead we are managing those that manage the front of the house and the back of the house.

The new entrance allows us to spread out a bit, and although the drain field will not support more "eating" seats, this addition and new entrance has been embraced by the vast majority of our customers. No longer are our guests greeted with a blast of cold air when the door is opened in the winter, or are those eating at the bar jostled by others reaching over them to get a drink.

I'm the guy that responds to TripAdvisor reviews. My intent is not to be insulting, although sometimes reality can't be ignored. It's easy for someone to write, under the anonymity of a fictional name and behind a keyboard, disparaging our business and/or employees. As owners, we will own our mistakes and our imperfections, but we won't suffer in silence for reviews that aren't factual, leave out important facts, and malign what we have worked so hard to do. Reviews that are honest and factual are welcome and you won't find any "insults". However, its fair game for me to respond to reviews that don't reflect the truth, attack an employee, leave out pertinent facts, or reflect a sense of undo entitlement by a customer.

I hope this helps clear up some of your questions. If you would like to discuss this further, please call the restaurant and I will return your call. Cheers and bon appetit!!

Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

We always check TripAdvisor when traveling. That is why we chose this restaurant. We had a big group of 13 adults and three children. We were treated very well and everyone loved their meals. I highly recommend this restaurant for dinner.

Date of visit: September 2018

JukeJointJimmy, you rock.............glad we satisfied your party of 13, and appreciate your recommendation. Cheers and bon appetit!

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

there is usually a line for lunch and dinner all year long... but it’s worth the wait. they are known for their Steak and Cheese with homemade cheese wiz, hand cut fries, shrimp and grits, oysters, chicken, you name it, it’s all good. take it from a local .... try Blue Moon.

Date of visit: September 2018
Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Thank you Centerice91. Nothing means more to us than a review like yours. Locals....our neighbors.....the foundation of our business, mean so much to us. You know us. You know we are here to stay. You know we are here year round, maintaining our staff, and hopefully serving lots of locals. Visitors are important to, because they provide the "means to end". However, make no mistake, locals are our passion. I am glad you enjoy your time at Blue Moon Beach Grill. Cheers and bon appetit!!