“Nice change of pace, tasty offerings”

Carmen's Cuban Cafe & Lounge
Ranked #2 of 159 Restaurants in Morrisville
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Recently stopped in here with a friend, and wasn't disappointed! The service is good, and the menu outside the norm enough to be exciting. I opted for the Ropa Vieja, which came with a choice of rice (opted for yellow), beans (black), and side (plantains). Everything was delicious. The Ropa Vieja matched any that I've had, a deliciously spiced pulled beef dish in a tomato sauce. Plentiful food, I had to take nearly half of it home. Fast service, no wait, definitely a darker atmosphere. Fun spot, look forward to trying more of the menu!

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Great Cuban food. Our family enjoyed our meals. Portions were large and provided a good value for the price, but it meant we had no room for dessert. We used to live in the Tampa area and this place is as good as the mid-priced Cuban restaurants there. Building exterior and interior look like they were updated recently and we in excellent condition. Liked the older style posters. Our waitress was very attentive but otherwise a bit boring. We will be back!

Reviewed 24 August 2017

I've been to Miami a number of times and I can say without hesitation or qualification that this is NOT very good Cuban food. If you think Sbarro is fantastic Italian food, or that the China Wok at the local mall food court is fantastic Asian food, then you may think that Carmen's has fantastic Cuban food. It doesn't. It's bland. My steak was tough and other than being coated in a well-made Chimichurri (it was delicious), the steak had no spice, had obviously been seared in a pan, and was tough. Rice & beans were very dry, not fresh, and extremely bland. Empanadas were decent but still lacked any real flavor. Not even a Cuban sandwich on the menu. The Cuban culture is full if spice and life. Authentic Cuban food is as well.

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

The location is odd: across from a failed mall, in an old strip off the highway, and near the airport..... but the food is fantastic.

The shredded pork loaded with onions and a side of black beans/rice and plantains is the best I've had in NC. I've been here before and had the Cuban steak that was also amazing. It's not Lil Havana in Miami good but it's darn close!

Go here for the food and you won't be disappointed. A real gem.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Now, I wouldn't trade a night in Havana for Carmen's, but it does have very good food. Our shredded pork was pretty close to Cuba and the black beans and rice were very close to Cuba's best. The empanadas were spectacular. I do want to go back and try camerones in salsa verde or ropas vieja.