“Great food!”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Great Cuban food. Our family enjoyed our meals. Portions were large and provided a good value for the price, but it meant we had no room for dessert. We used to live in the Tampa area and this place is as good as the mid-priced Cuban restaurants there. Building exterior and interior look like they were updated recently and we in excellent condition. Liked the older style posters. Our waitress was very attentive but otherwise a bit boring. We will be back!

Reviewed 24 August 2017

I've been to Miami a number of times and I can say without hesitation or qualification that this is NOT very good Cuban food. If you think Sbarro is fantastic Italian food, or that the China Wok at the local mall food court is fantastic Asian food, then you may think that Carmen's has fantastic Cuban food. It doesn't. It's bland. My steak was tough and other than being coated in a well-made Chimichurri (it was delicious), the steak had no spice, had obviously been seared in a pan, and was tough. Rice & beans were very dry, not fresh, and extremely bland. Empanadas were decent but still lacked any real flavor. Not even a Cuban sandwich on the menu. The Cuban culture is full if spice and life. Authentic Cuban food is as well.

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

The location is odd: across from a failed mall, in an old strip off the highway, and near the airport..... but the food is fantastic.

The shredded pork loaded with onions and a side of black beans/rice and plantains is the best I've had in NC. I've been here before and had the Cuban steak that was also amazing. It's not Lil Havana in Miami good but it's darn close!

Go here for the food and you won't be disappointed. A real gem.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Now, I wouldn't trade a night in Havana for Carmen's, but it does have very good food. Our shredded pork was pretty close to Cuba and the black beans and rice were very close to Cuba's best. The empanadas were spectacular. I do want to go back and try camerones in salsa verde or ropas vieja.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Went to Raleigh on business and was looking for some food from my island, PR. Even though it says it's Cuban food, they are so similar, that I felt it was close enough and worth trying out. So glad I did.

I went alone and was sat at the bar. The place is a little dark, but still inviting. Big area, ample seating space and a nice bar. It was 2 pm so I guess for evening crowds of people wanting some Caribbean food should be super. Bathrooms clean and comfortable.

Ramon, my server was so attentive. He is from Puerto Rico and I enjoyed meeting him so much. Turns out we went to Rival schools in San Juan around the same time! Wow, isn't this a small world. Anyway, he gave me excellent recommendations. He took his time explaining each dish, so I tried a couple plates and ordered 3 other different ones to try out back home with my family. We are always looking for great food from my island, so every chance I get away, I always look for a place to try.

The food was great. Loved the seasoning and variety of dishes. It was still lunch hour so I got daily specials for $10 each.
Only thing I would change is the amount of food you get for what you pay, especially the appetizer sampler. See pic.

One more thing, I had an incident with the take out food as I was getting it in my truck. The food fell, a few beans containers opened and spilled there. Main course dishes were bent out of shape. It was a mess. I was so tired and clumsy. Well Ramon ran out to help. I was parked right in front of the establishment's door. He helped me and sent me inside to the bathroom to clean my hands. When I came out, he had repacked my food. Helped me back in the truck, placed food carefully in the back and hugged me telling me to be careful, before my 3+ hour trip back home alone. He even picked up the mess from the road. That gesture made my day. I was so grateful and was able to get home safely.

Going back to Raleigh this week and will definitely be back.