“Not completely authentic, but very good”

Carmen's Cuban Cafe & Lounge
Ranked #3 of 159 Restaurants in Morrisville
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Now, I wouldn't trade a night in Havana for Carmen's, but it does have very good food. Our shredded pork was pretty close to Cuba and the black beans and rice were very close to Cuba's best. The empanadas were spectacular. I do want to go back and try camerones in salsa verde or ropas vieja.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Went to Raleigh on business and was looking for some food from my island, PR. Even though it says it's Cuban food, they are so similar, that I felt it was close enough and worth trying out. So glad I did.

I went alone and was sat at the bar. The place is a little dark, but still inviting. Big area, ample seating space and a nice bar. It was 2 pm so I guess for evening crowds of people wanting some Caribbean food should be super. Bathrooms clean and comfortable.

Ramon, my server was so attentive. He is from Puerto Rico and I enjoyed meeting him so much. Turns out we went to Rival schools in San Juan around the same time! Wow, isn't this a small world. Anyway, he gave me excellent recommendations. He took his time explaining each dish, so I tried a couple plates and ordered 3 other different ones to try out back home with my family. We are always looking for great food from my island, so every chance I get away, I always look for a place to try.

The food was great. Loved the seasoning and variety of dishes. It was still lunch hour so I got daily specials for $10 each.
Only thing I would change is the amount of food you get for what you pay, especially the appetizer sampler. See pic.

One more thing, I had an incident with the take out food as I was getting it in my truck. The food fell, a few beans containers opened and spilled there. Main course dishes were bent out of shape. It was a mess. I was so tired and clumsy. Well Ramon ran out to help. I was parked right in front of the establishment's door. He helped me and sent me inside to the bathroom to clean my hands. When I came out, he had repacked my food. Helped me back in the truck, placed food carefully in the back and hugged me telling me to be careful, before my 3+ hour trip back home alone. He even picked up the mess from the road. That gesture made my day. I was so grateful and was able to get home safely.

Going back to Raleigh this week and will definitely be back.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Arriving late at RDU and checking in at an airport-area motel, my wife & I were hungry, and expecting to have to settle for something far less than wonderful. So we were understandably surprised and delighted to find Carmen's a short walk away from our motel. I greatly enjoyed the Seafood Havanero and Platanos, and my wife said the Picadillo.was perfect for her. We only wished we were going to be in the area longer; we would have liked to go back to try other dishes. The service was fine, too. As we haven't been to Cuba and have only had Cuban fare in a few places, we can't speak authoritatively about "Cuban Food"; and maybe our enthusiasm was influenced by our low expectations; but I'm going to rate this as excellent in any case.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

It was absolutely delicious my husband and I were so happy to find authentic food. Muchas gracias para todo

Reviewed 16 July 2017

This place has good Cuban food. If you like Cuban food, you will like this place. I think my bill with tip was about $20 but worth it.