Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews lakeside dining pimento cheese sandwich groomed grounds tired and in need beautiful lake view walking trails heated bathroom floors glass of champagne the general manager turn down service steak special main building tennis firestone mansion fireplace property
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 March 2021

I really loved Gretystone Inn. We had a glass of champagne on arrival and it just had a really comfortable yet elegant feel. It's so beautiful and I think really good value for money. We had a King Premium Room, which was really large in size and well decorated- although the carpet could do with replacing or a good industrial cleaning. Had a lovely electric fireplace and a delicious mint chocolate for turn down service. I really enjoyed the heated bathroom floors.

The location is beautiful. It's a bit of a windy road getting up there, so if you suffer from car sickness, it would be worth bringing some dramamine just in case.

It's right on the water, and they have little fire pits throughout.

The service is really friendly. Thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant- such good food and a beautiful lake view. Also very good value for money in my opinion.

Only reason I did not give them 5 stars is that the room needed a good cleaning. The base of the lamps by the bed for example hadn't been dusted in what looked like ages, and that's kind of an obvious go to clean when you see dust piling up next to the bed, so made me wonder what else wasn't being cleaned in there. The shower also had two random hairs. During a time with COVID you would imagine cleaning would be amped up, so makes me wonder what normal practice is. They also have us 2 small water bottles in the room and didn't replace the one- not sure if that was an oversight or you just get one small bottle per person per night. A small touch that could go a long way. Then one easy fix for them would be to allow your cellphones to be charged on both sides of the bed- possibly get those lamps with the USB chargers.

I know the cleanliness thing seems like a big one but although very dusty, I didn't feel like it was dirty, if that makes sense. I would still highly recommend and would definitely go back.

Room Tip- next time, we would avoid staying in the Inn main building and do the other building. As you can imagine with an old building, you can hear quite a lot- we were above reception, so we could hear that area, although I will say, it wasn't that noisy! Also, which bothered me more, is come afternoon you can smell the fryer from the bar kitchen till the late evening. That might not bother everyone but it's not something I enjoyed.

Date of stay: March 2021
2  Thank passtheburts
Paulette Todd, General Manager at The Greystone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel....the complimentary champagne upon arrival, heated bathroom floors, fireplace in your room, your food and the service from our staff. I profusely apologize about the dust on the lamps in your room and that you found two hairs in your bathroom. The health and safe of our guests and employees are of the utmost importance to us. We indeed have in place new operating procedures and protocols for all areas of the hotel, especially in housekeeping. I appreciate your honest feedback as that is how we correct any issues that we may have. We want all of our guests to be 100% happy with their Greystone Experience. We have addressed this immediately and again I am terribly sorry that your room had these issues. I look forward to welcoming you back hopefully soon. Please let me know if I may be of any assistance to you with future reservations.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 26 February 2021 via mobile

Had a girls weekend at a friend’s Lake Toxaway home and we took one evening for a meal at the Greystone Inn’s restaurant down on the water. There were 4 of us and we each ordered something different. Our respective meals were absolutely delicious, beautifully presented with exceptional and friendly service. The views from the lakefront windows are beyond compare and again, I can’t say enough about how fabulous the food was. If you are in the area, you should plan an evening out here- start out in the cozy bar at the hotel then step
down to the main restaurant for one of the best meals you’ll ever have. It was a real treat.

Date of stay: February 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank sbslaw57
Paulette Todd, General Manager at The Greystone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2021

Wow....thank you for your most gracious detailed review. I truly appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to share your experience with other potential guests. I am thrilled that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and that you appreciate the attention to detail. I will pass on the compliments to our culinary team. Should you need assistance with future reservations or anything during your stay, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 18 February 2021

This was such a lovely place! Loved our room - beautiful bed, fireplace, lovely view, great sheets! - and staff service was just excellent. Greeted with a glass of champagne at check in - nice touch!

But - a single Sunday night stay in the winter ended up costing $450. This seemed a bit steep, partly because the dog fee was $150 - for a single night - and wasn't told the cost in advance. This is several times higher than most luxury hotels. I am happy to pay for any cleaning of any messes, and sign a waiver to promise to do so - but most higher-end places just charge $25 or $30. This was so much more! And of course limited to pet-acceptable rooms, so... just shocked, and wasn't told this dollar amount when making reservations on the phone. Also - food at restaurant was ok, but desert- a molten chocolate cake - was unfortunately inedible. There was no "molten" (liquid) part inside, and was just a mushy, bitter cake. Server did kindly offer to substitute, but declined - other desert choices not so appealing.

Room tip: Make sure you ask about all charges in advance - and ask for a room with a fireplace!
Date of stay: February 2021
Paulette Todd, General Manager at The Greystone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2021

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review. I am pleased that you loved your room and found our staff to be excellent! We take pride in being a pet friendly hotel; however you are correct, guest services should have informed you of the pet fee. I apologize that did not happen. I have reviewed that with each staff member so it does not happen again. I am terribly sorry that you found the molten chocolate cake inedible and please know this has been addressed with our chef. I hope that you return soon for a longer stay with us. Please let me know if I may be of any assistance.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2021 via mobile

The Greystone Inn deserves every bit of their five stars. My daughter and I went here the weekend before Thanksgiving on a girls retreat that we do every year. Every single person that we came in contact with was professional, friendly, and made us feel like we were family! It was the first thing we have done since Covid quarantine including going to a restaurant. We felt so safe and they took every precaution you can imagine. It was an incredible experience and we are already planning a trip back. The food was great in the manner and the Lakeside dining... The salmon avocado toast was incredible along with the sweet potato ravioli at dinner. Again everything we had was yummy! We also did the spa with a couples massage and both ladies were again professional and very cautious. The lavender on our pillow was a great treat and it was just what we needed. Could not of asked for a better experience! We stayed at one of the king fireplace rooms in the Hilltop facing the mountains. It was an end room with a two-sided porch. Just the fireplace, porch, footed soaking tub and room amenities would’ve been vacation enough. To sum it up, the Greystone in spared no expense but yet was one of the most affordable five star vacations we’ve taken! (Again everything was so affordable it was unbelievable. We did the fishing and kayaking of which she just let the front desk know and a nice young man would put the kayak in the water or meet you at the lake with fishing poles and tackle box. Also they would light fire-pits outside along the lake each night. There were so many of them that you had your own personal fire. It was just like you were at home but being taken care of by a five star resort. There will be times that we would not see any other guest for hours!

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 1209tracia
Paulette Todd, General Manager at The Greystone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2021

Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing to stay with us! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time in Lake Toxaway, our hotel, restaurant and our spa. We are always excited to hear kind words like these and I will pass these along to our employees! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you with your future reservation. We will look forward to having you as our guests again and hopefully it will be in the very near future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 3 November 2020

10/25/2020:
50th Anniversary trip & the Mansion room was great for relaxing, room location, amenities, lake views, etc. Fireside seating w/gas logs was great. But, BEWARE of restaurant.
Lunch was what should have been a simple pimento cheese sandwich which was pimento cheese between what tasted & consistency of like "cake layers" of something awful. Also a Caesar Salad that looked like a side-salad portion you would get at a fast-food restaurant. Service was super-slow with only ~20% seated.
Dinner was ordered as a Trout & a Halibut entree, server brought two Trout orders. Again, service was so slow with about 4-5 tables seated that my wife decided to eat about 1/2 of the trout (not her desire at all) instead of sending back and waiting forever for the correct entree. Terribly disappointing, again!.
Then, when I called after our visit to get a final corrected receipt of our stay, they wanted to charge me postage for mailing the final receipt. Are you people serious! Talk about nickel & dime service.

11/03/20: The General Manager responded and understood the restaurant mistakes and graciously made up for our unfortunate dining experiences. Very nice, professional and super customer service. Such a great place and obviously very Classy, we will be back to stay again. Thank You.

Room tip: Request Lake Views - it's Beautiful!
Date of stay: October 2020