Carter Lodge(Chimney Rock)
Hickory Falls Guesthouse(Chimney Rock)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$328
  • Pool
Willowbrook Inn(Lake Lure)
Grafton Lodge(Lake Lure)
TripAdvisor
Fox Run Resort(Lake Lure)
Agoda.com
All reviewsmaple ridgegolf coursemountain loftchimney rockbiltmore estatevisiting ashevillequeen bedindoor poolgreat family vacationget awayupstairs unitolder unitsguard gatelower unitsitting roomlocal attractionsan hour's drive
Reviewed 12 April 2012

After reading some of the reviews I wasn't quite sure what to expect at this resort and was actually starting to regret booking our spring break vacay here. After being here four days I can tell you that I don't have any regrets at all.

The reviews were helpful as we planned our trip and we brought just about all our food and snacks with us. So lets start with my review.

The Facilities--
We stayed in the Maple Ridge Unit. We had a two bedroom lock-off unit. Unit A was more like a garden style apartment. Queen Bed, Queen Sofa Bed, kitchen, fireplace, dining area, bathroom, kitchen area, deck, bathroom, washer and dryer, living room area small, regular tv in bedroom, and fair-size flat TV in living room. Unit B adjoined Unit A and featured two levels. Level 1 adjoined Unit A and featured the living room area with TV. Stairs led to a very cute downstairs area that featured a studio size kitchen area. Bathroom, jacuzzi style tube, and bedroom was on this lower level as well. Deck was off the bedroom--pretty cool. My teen had Unit B and he was quite pleased to have his own space.

The kitchen area in Unit A was pretty small, but we hey, we adapted. Carpenter bees were everywhere on the deck, but a quick call to front desk and poof, they were gone, so we got to enjoy sitting out there.

Both units were clean. The furnishings are a bit dated and have some wear and tear issues, but nothing that would make me want to change rooms or anything. I found our units to be quite comfortable. If you are looking for high-end, modern furnishings and granite tops, forget about it...you won't find that here, at least not at Maple Ridge..but those kind of things aren't a priority for our family.

Check-in went smoothly and I was quite surprised that they didn't ask us to come to an owner's meeting to try to sell us more points, etc. Even when they called the next morning to see how things were going, I thought surely they are going to ask us to come talk with them. Didn't happen and for that they get five stars alone!

The Resort Facilities-- Yes, you will definitely need a car in this area and do plan on driving down to Rumbling Bald Resort (about a mile down the ride) for the swimming pool, miniature golf, lake, restaurants, tennis, b-ball courts, etc. It is a quick and easy drive and wasn't really a problem for us. Again, be prepared for the indoor pool. It is dated and a bit on the small size, but kids enjoyed. Loved that they had locker room facilities. We didn't bring towels, and paid a 1.00 rental fee to get a towel. So be sure to bring your own towels if you don't want pay that fee. Miniature golf is $5.00 for the first game and second game is free. They also have a spa/salon but we didn't take advantage of that.

Staff here is AWESOME!!!!

I would give this place 5 stars but I'm gonna take off one for the small kitchen.

Staff provided info when we checked in on how to get to the nearest store which is about 10 minutes away.

We did a day trip to the Great Smoky Mountains on one day. GPS took us through the town of Lake Lure and some great mountain views. Also, we drove to Forest City, about 30 - 40 minutes to hit up the Wal-Mart for camera batteries. Saw a couple of roadside antique shops and again, pretty scenery/views.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Anlycoar
Reviewed 5 April 2012

One of my friends and I decided to do a mothers and sons (both boys are 13) vacation. I'm always leary of vacation condos but upon our arrival I was very pleasantly surprised at the accommodations. It was very roomy, one master bedroom one with twins (small twins) with comfy beds. Two full baths, full dining area, stools at the kitchen counter, open floor plan made it feel even roomier. Winding wooden stairs up to the loft where there was another sleeper sofa and a round table for games which was perfect for the boys.

The kitchen was FULLY equipped down to a potatoe peeler including coffee pot, microwave, blender, toaster, dish washer, full set of glasses (including wine) and dishes and flatware that looked to be either new or well taken care of.

There is also a screened porch off the back that overlooked the foot hills . . . we had some wild turkeys and some deer back there as well. :-)

Every employee we came into contact with at both Wyndham and Rumbling Bald were very helpful. Couldn't have been more hospitable.

The rec center at Rumbling Bald is shared with Wyndham as they are one in the same now I believe. It is about a mile away so that was a draw back for the boys. I'm used to having the boys do they're own thing sometimes. The boys didn't seem to want to load up everytime to head over there. Although they had a mini golf course, jumbo checkers and chess, the indoor pool, paddle boats to rent. I think I'd try to get a place closer to the rec center, beach, etc for them. But it was very nice. Because we went at the beginning of spring, the outdoor pools were not open and only one restaurant was open. We did take the pontoon boat tour around the lake and it was worth the $13 dollars per adult. The tour guide was very friend and informative. By the their day, I was like an old hat on those country roads. Lots of twists and turns! But I am afraid of heights and did just fine.

Grocery store was about 10 minutes away but it looked like they were open a gas station and corner grocery store right there near the registration building.

As for activities, we were all over doing everything from gem mining, to shopping and sightseeing in Asheville, Chimeny Rock Village and Black Mountain. The actual ride up to Chimney Rock State Park, on the otherhand, was a little more narrow and twisty but, oh my, what a view!!! It was absolutely breathtaking. And of course don't forget to take a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway!

I was not overly enthused with the restuaurants so it was a good thing we had a great kitchen. However, the "Point of View" Restaurant was a definite must. They had a great menu of steak, chicken and fish dishes and you have to have the stuff mushrooms! YUMMY!!! And the staff/service was fantastic.

ENJOY!

Room Tip: If you have children of an age that you allow to take a walk to the rec center or the beach on their own, you may want to ask for something closer to the center. But it's not a must, it's still beautiful.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank L N
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My wife and I are here at Lake Lure Wyndham resort for the second year in a row and we are enjoying the peace and quiet of the mountains. Our unit is a 2 bedroom condo and is very clean and has everything stocked that we need. Wireless internet is one of the things that is very important to us as it allows us to send our photos to family and friends. The registration staff and attendants at the front desk are very polite and helpful. We bought firewood at a local retailer and enjoyed our fireplace. Each night while having a glass of wine we enjoyed the beauty of the mountains from our panoramic view of our oversized windows. The circular staircase provided access to an upstairs loft which was great for a children's room as it had a sofa with a pull out bed and a table which would be great for a card game. The kitchen area is clean with numerous new small appliances. The refrigerator and stove were also very clean upon arrival. Overall I would recommend this resort if you like quiet and beauty of the mountains and nature.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LakeLureVisitor
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I should have known from the reviews but I didn’t book the place. Some friends and I spent a weekend at the resort, (insert laugh) and my friend made the booking. Yes it is in the middle of nowhere, as expected, but what I didn’t expect was just how run down and old the place is. What I did like: The woman who checked us in and the Jacuzzi Tub….wow that’s it. The women at registration gave us great customer service and helped up book a zip lining tour for the following morning. The Jacuzzi tube was enormous and very powerful. However, the furnishings in the unit looked original to the early 1980s. The walls are so incredibly thin that I could have taken part in the conversation going on next door. I heard every single word as though I were in the room with the occupants, which made me self-conscious about what I said or did being overheard too. There were four of us sharing the unit with one bedroom and a pull out sofa. The pull out sofa wouldn’t have been so bad except for the skylight right above. A great feature I would love if I wasn’t awakened at 6:30 every morning on Vacation due to blinding light! Also the high speed Internet is hit or miss. More miss than anything else. So those half formed plans of streaming a movie got nixed. As to location, because you are in the middle of nowhere off of incredibly curvy roads the prospect of trying to find dinner in the dark is less than thrilling. That’s why the restaurant options at the resort are so attractive. We went to dinner at the pub and boy the disappointment just kept building up. The so-called pub was little more than a glorified canteen. The service was abysmal especially when you consider we arrived at 6:00 p.m. and were the only guests there at the time. I will say the Chicken Quasidia was quite good but the chili cheese fries should be called Chili-like Cheeze-wiz fries. Really not the sort of dining experience, even as a low end option, that I would expect from a place calling itself a resort. The best part of the weekend was spending time with dear friends and our adventure zip lining. I will not be back and I can’t really recommend this place to anyone. We got it on the cheap through Expedia but the isolation and poor accommodation more than justify spending more somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Unless you have a family full of kids looking someplace cheap and don't plan on really doing anything, eating anything you couldn't find at home, or being connected to the internet/cell.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank LadyZady
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The staff at registration were very nice and helpful. That was the highlight of our trip. When we arrived at our unit the first thing I noticed was the filthy caret. Then the spiral staircase leading up to a useless loft. (Not a great amenity when you have a 4 yr old). The furniture was old and stained, the beds were old and hard. The appliances were also old and dated. The tub was filthy and the shower had hair in it. Needless to stay I ended up cleaning before we could relax. Very disappointed in this resort and for the money they charge it was even more disappointing. We actually had booked to stay for two nights but only stayed one because of the condition of the unit. Lake Lure is beautiful but would not stay here again.

Room Tip: There isn't one.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family