While the location of this home is great, we had several complaints that neither the homeowner nor the property management company thought were problematic.
First, there are roaches. They appeared daily in nearly every room of the home. The property managers came when we called to spray Ortho Home Defense which did nothing to alleviate the problem. They also refused to give us notice before they came despite our asking as we traveled with four small children under the age of four who we did not want to expose to the fumes.
Second, there is no warning anywhere to let you know that there is an electric current in the ground around the pool. When entering and exiting the pool, you experience an electric shock that passes through your body. Our children complained of pain from the shocks and therefore couldn’t use the pool which is really one of the main reasons you would rent this home. Their response to this issue was as follows: “I do apologize that you did not have as an enjoyable of a vacation as you would like to have had. However, there is nothing in this letter or in our findings at the home that will constitute any form finical consideration. The bugs and leak were addressed in a commercially reasonable manner and time frame. The ground current is a naturally occurring phenomena in this area that is not dangerous, cannot be predicted or controlled.”
We have been to the Outer Banks 7 times and not once experienced either one of these issues. From brief research online, we found that the current issue is related to a pool not being properly grounded. Therefore, know going into renting this home that the pool will be an unpleasant experience and that you will deal with bugs all over the home. If that’s your jam, then this is a good spot for the location, otherwise, look elsewhere where the pool is safe and the house is clean.