“Nostalgic”

Kings Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 83 Restaurants in Kinston
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 13 January 2016

I was recommended to try this place out on my way through town. Apparently it has been around for quite a while! A definite local favorite. I had the buffet so I could sample a little of everything. Pulled pork was on the buffet so I tried it as I was really wanting some Carolina sauce. Everything was ok, just ok. I've had better, but what I enjoyed the most was everyone came up and started chatting with me and interested in where I was from. The part I enjoy about being in the South.

Reviewed 23 November 2015 via mobile

My wife and I tried this place for lunch, got to say the ribs where great, chicken very good. The sides? Slaw was put together with to much vinegar. Wife's dish was very dry chopped bbq pork, looked like sawdust. Owner, waitress very nice but they did not by my meal. Was not worth 33 bucks, but hey whatever not going back

1  Thank UVAWINEBARCAFE
Reviewed 12 November 2015

Sorry, people, if this is North Carolina BBQ, I am NOT a fan!
Dry stringy pork, oddly battered, tasteless mini-shrimp, black hush puppies, acid greens.....the list goes on.
I tried, I liked the chicken, it was well done, but that was really all I could recommend, and Bojangles is better!

Reviewed 19 September 2015 via mobile

We needed to make a quick stop for dinner. King's offered good food fast.

You have the option of ordering off the menu or going to the buffet. We opted for the buffet, which was well stocked with traditional southern sides like coke slaw, mac 'n cheese, potato salad, green beans, baked apples, and more. The meat selection was pulled pork, catfish, popcorn shrimp, and pork tenderloin, which was surprisingly tender and tasty, especially for a buffet.

There is a salad bar and soup of the day that could easily be missed, as it is in a different room, the room where folks order off the menu.

There were a few dessert selections. I opted for the banana pudding, which was okay. There was soft serve ice cream, too.

The atmosphere is what I would characterize as down home. The tables and chairs are like something you'd find in a country church fellowship hall. The place was clean, but rustic, which is something you expect in a local BBQ joint.

The service was good. Dirty plates were pulled and drinks were refilled in a timely manner.

Overall, I would recommend King's.

Reviewed 2 September 2015

I had always noticed the signs along Hwy 70, but never stopped until Saturday and I am so glad I did! You could order off the menu or have the buffet. We got the buffet because there was so much to choose from. Great home cooking. Everything was delicious. I thought the prices were very reasonable and the sweet tea was some of the best I have ever had