“Catfish was inedible”

Rooster's Southern Kitchen
Description: Rooster's Southern Kitchen is a brand new restaurant run by local owners. It is now open daily from 11:30 am to 10:00pm! Music starts at 6/7 pm nightly. Large parties are welcome (parties of 11 or more, call to make reservation). Make history and be our first ever customers. We are located at milepost 8 3/4 in downtown Kill Devil Hills. Thank you in advance for your support!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We decided to try a new restaurant on our yearly spring trip to the OBX. We saw Roosters and decided to give it a whirl. My husband and I had the catfish with rice and beans and greens and sausage. Our son had the fried chicken sandwich. To start out on a positive note, the waiter was very nice. And, also, our son said his sandwich was okay. Now it goes downhill. The catfish was probably the worst thing we had ever tried to eat in our entire lives. The fish was horrible. It tasted like something I can't even describe. My husband and I picked at the rice and beans. I was lucky and had about four thin slices of sausage, my husband had no sausage on his plate. The catfish was so bad I honestly had to spit it out. It was just plain bad, greasy, old fish maybe, cooked in old oil perhaps. when the waiter came to pick up our plates, he noticed my husband hadn't eaten anything. I had hidden mine under my son's plate and some napkins. It wasn't his fault it was so bad. We ended up driving through Burger King down the street to get hamburgers. We tried to think of anything as bad as the catfish we had tried to eat, but we honestly can't think of anything as bad as the catfish at Roosters. Ive never spit out food before in a restaurant. We won't be going back.

helenwoolard, Public Relations Manager at Rooster's Southern Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

We're sorry to hear that you and your husband had an unpleasant experience. We do wish you said something to server as we want nothing more than to right any wrongs! We would have made sure we could bring you another plate, or another meal. Please give us a second chance because this is the first bad review we've ever gotten about the catfish so it is highly out of the ordinary. It is actually one of our most liked dishes so we are concerned it was a weird fish. We hope to bring you back for one more chance—regardless thank you for your business.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Decent food and decent atmosphere. Ordered the quarter fried chicken and it was good but with it were more done. All other food looked good and I was told it tasted ok.

We are sorry to hear about your fried chicken and hope you addressed it to your server as we want nothing but a perfect meal for you. Please feel free to give us a call with further feedback. We hope you'll give us a second chance!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Great food!!! We ordered shrimp and grits, shark bites and the meatloaf. All was very very good!!! Service was great as well!!

We're thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant experience with us! Thank you for coming in and come on back!

Reviewed 24 March 2018

The food was delicious! We started with their bacon and eggs app and it was perfection. I had the oysters and my husband ate the ribs. We were stuffed! There was plenty of food and with each bite you weren't disappointed. I cannot wait to go back. We travel back and forth quite often and arrive in the evening. This will be our new spot for dinner! Next time we are going to do a little bourbon tasting. But all in all, I recommend this restaurant to anyone! Food was great!

helenwoolard, Public Relations Manager at Rooster's Southern Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

We are so thrilled to hear that you and your husband enjoyed everything! We hope to give you some more bacon 'n eggs soon! Thank you for coming in.

Cheers,

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

We came in for dinner and brought family from out of town. Food was excellent! We had the angus burger, brisket sandwich, chicken salad, and charred Brussels. Everything was fantastic, large portions and tasted great. Maresa made the visit the best. Very friendly and got to know us. She needs a raise!

So thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed everything and that your server took good care of you. We love having her on our team. Thanks for coming and hope you'll come back soon!