“Great food, but......”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2018

WE LOVED our food at Southern Roots. First off, the Menu was a joy to read as your mouth salivated over what thing you really were going to try!! All that said, service was attentive, fast and food was everything we expected it to be. SO NICE FOR THAT!

BUT, the restaurant is LOUD. We were seated in the seats along the wall. these tables are SO CRAMMED TOGETHER, that is is IMPOSSIBLE to have a private conversation as the people in the next table are only inches away from you. Then the restaurant has very bad accoustics, so you are having to raise your voice just so your group can hear you. The funny thing is, they actually have music playing...which is ridiculous, as you can't even hear meal conversation let alone discern the music coming out of the speakers. I don't know if this is as bad in other areas of the restaurant, but this is definitely bad enough for me to reconsider eating INSIDE.... fix this issue and the place would be my favorite , GO-TO place in the Triad. I hope they can address these issues soon.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

Nice atmosphere. It was a bit loud and the table for 4 was small, but overall nice atmosphere. We shared the fried green tomatoes and Thai shrimp for appetizers. Both were excellent. I had the meatloaf. It was a classic recipe. I think they could jazz it up a bit. It was good but maybe spice it up. Had the onion pie and Mac n cheese for sides. The onion pie was excellent. Will go back.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 7 August 2018

I have never ordered anything that wasn’t delicious. Their pita chips with warm pimento cheese dip and okra pizza are my favorites. This would be five stars but some of the tables are too close together and hard to squeeze between to be seated.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 24 July 2018

Like a lot of the reviewers said, it is VERY noisy in this place. My husband and I had to really talk loud to each other to be heard.

We started out with an appetizer of the fried oysters with bacon vinaigrette, which was very good.

He ordered the bbq baby back ribs, mac & cheese and cole slaw. He said his ribs were excellent. The cole slaw had a huge piece of onion in it that probably took up most of his ramekin. The mac & cheese needed seasoning.

I ordered the peach bbq salmon, mac & cheese and spinach with garlic. It was all good, except the mac & cheese did need seasoning (salt & pepper.)

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

Great food. Great service. Interesting menu. A really cute place that is easy to miss if you are not looking for it.

Date of visit: July 2018