See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 April 2010

My only experience with this Bed & Breakfast was in the attempt to make a reservation. Their website is great. Both times I called they answered the phone, didn't have to receive a call back (not a bad thing having to leave a message, just saying they were available) The innkeeper, Chaz, asked me the appropriate questions in taking the reservation: name, room I wanted, time of arrival, credit card information, etc. I had observed on the website that they offered various discounts which I mentioned early in my conversation. This seemed to really irritate Chaz. (read on...)
At the conclusion of gathering the reservation information that Chaz needed, I asked for a total on the cost of the one night stay...since there would be a discount appied. Once Chaz found a calculator, he seemed to have trouble with it working properly so I asked how would one figure the total...room rate minus discount then apply tax, or room rate plus tax then subtract the discount? He seemed to get very edgy and said, "I know how to do it, I just can't ....<unintelligible>"
I said, "thats okay, I can...." Chaz interupted and said, "No, No, you asked for the amount, thats what I'm going to give you."
I was very taken back but waited. He did give me the total and tagged it with "...is that okay? or would you rather find another place to stay?"
At this, I am truly wondering who might be on the other end of the line...is this really the innkeeper of this establishment? I said, "no, that fine. I am on your website right now and I can see the prices so I know what the approximate amount was going to be." Chaz: "Are you sure?" "Do you have any other questions?"
I did want to know if they had other guests booked, if so, how many. Chaz explained since it was Easter weekend they had no other guests...."is that okay? or do you think you might want to go somewhere else?"
By now, I'm no longer impressed with this establishment at all because of this conversation. I ask Chaz why he would suggest I stay somewhere else. He tells me that I am being abrasive, and he feels interrogated with the questions (he had asked me twice if I had any questions for him), that I had mentioned the discount 3x but he could understand that since he is a businessman (oh...really?) and since he would want my stay to be the very best I could experience, he just didn't know if he could provide that for me.
I was completely astounded at this coming from this "businessman's" point of view, especially someone in the hospitality field. I then agreed with Chaz and said "I think you're right, you should go ahead and cancel this reservation."
Amazing!....BTW, I did call 3 other B&B in the immediate area...one was full and the other two had only 1-2 rooms available each...so seems Easter weekend is going to be a fairly normal and profitable one for other B&B's of the area. Will be writing a review on where I did find a room...right down the road.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank marinewife5
Reviewed 6 February 2010

While planning our trip to Hickory to see some friends we decided to make it a more romantic getaway and choose to go with a bed and breakfast, and what a wonderful choice we made in The Inn at Hickory.

Chaz was a wonderful host to the inn, and saw to all of our needs. Since it snowed on the night of our arrival, our Saturday activities were pretty well shot. The inn was quite and Chaz had no problem with a couple of our friends visiting and playing some games and watching a movie. He even set out extra coffee cups for everyone.

The inn itself was very nicely decorated, and the room was excellent. The only thing I would have liked was a small desk or secretary to sit my laptop at. The common areas were wonderful, comfortable and inviting.

We plan to return someday, maybe when snow has not shut the town down.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Cyclonic07
Reviewed 19 October 2009

House was well furnished and conveniently located. Rooms are very clean and well furnished. Excellent support from hosts and breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MitchSEA
Reviewed 17 September 2007

The Inn at Hickory (464 7th street), has the greatest service and innkeepers we have come across in a long time. That is saying A LOT since we really like B&B's! The House is beautiful and very tastefully decorated (mix of new and antique), not overcrowded. The rooms were large, CLEAN and very nice, with excellent linens, mattress, pillows, toiletries, etc. They have lots of magazines, reading materials available (little library, w/ large TV).

Chef Chaz was incredibly helpful - he printed out mapquest directions for us to all the locations we were visiting (including restaurants)! We had the most amazing breakfast we've ever had at a B&B - we could pick the time (as early as 6 if we needed it!). And we had a half-dozen menu entree options (all fresh) - plus fresh fruit, eggs, and homemade pastries (tiny puff, cream-filled, and cakes). They even do breakfast in bed. We were so sad we couldn't stay longer to take advantage of that offer!

The only negative was that like many old houses, or B&B's it is a little creaky and the window A/C unit was a bit loud (although it was new, efficient, and NOT stinky/moldy) - but we are also light sleepers.... The neighborhood and other houses seem a bit neglected compared to the the Inn which stands out next to the neighbors. But we were still able to take a pleasant walk.

We can't wait to go back! It had better service, was more pleasant, and was much less expensive than the B&B's we've stayed at in Blowing Rock or even Asheville!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank dragon76