“best crab cakes”

The Lantern Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #35 of 211 Restaurants in Hendersonville
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Reviewed 5 June 2016

Everyone says theirs are the best. Nope,this is it!!!!! The shrimp and grits are also wonderful. Actually all the food we had all week was great and plentiful.

1  Thank Gracie R
kbcrowder, General Manager at The Lantern Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2016

Thank you for your kind words, and our crab cakes are the best! We are so happy your enjoyed your time here at The Charleston Inn and Lantern Restaurant. Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 1 June 2016

We stayed at the Charleston Inn and had dinner at The Lantern. Our server Doran was a very friendly young man who provided excellent service for my wife and I . The food was simply outstanding. The She Crab soup was perhaps the best I have ever tasted and the crab cakes were also excellent. My wife had the lobster mac and chees which was a generous portion and delicious. An added bonus was music by a solo guitarist and singer. Great dinner experience

1  Thank Scott B

Thank you for your great review! I will pass your compliment on to Duran. You are right the food is amazing. We hope you choose the Charleston Inn and Lantern Restaurant the next time you are in Hendersonville!

Reviewed 26 May 2016

We ate here for dinner and breakfast (breakfast included with the B and B Charleston Inn attached). Both meals were very good. Obviously home made. Fresh and tasty.

Date of visit: May 2016

Thank you for your kind words!

Reviewed 29 April 2016

My wife and I had heard some positive remarks from friends who had dined at The Lantern, so we opted for a visit on a Friday night.

This is a small venue, appended to the Charleston Inn, so reservations are a good idea. Parking was a problem, unless there was another option aside from the lot to the right of the B&B, but we did squeeze into the one remaining spot.

With options of indoor vs. outdoor seating, we decided to dine indoors...we were promptly seated by a woman whom we presume was one of the owners, menus, water, and two small pieces of fresh banana bread provided promptly.

Our waitress, unfortunately, seemed a bit overwhelmed. After my wife placed her order for the house Pinot Grigio (Ca'donini, $7), after approximately ten minutes the owner came over again to our table and asked if our drink and meal orders had been taken...which they had not. Shortly thereafter, the wine did appear, as did the waitress who took our order.

My wife and I both love Charleston She-Crab soup, I chose the bowl ($10), my wife the smaller cup ($6), it ranked up there with the best versions we had ever had...thick with crab meat, nice and spicy.

A gentleman who is presumably one of the owners asked if we wanted bread with the soup, by the time it was delivered to the table, we were already well finished with the soup. However, the small pieces of grilled garlic focaccio bread were good once they arrived.

For the main course, my wife chose the Crab Cake, served with mild grits and a mixed vegetable medley ($18), was more than enough for one person, and she truly enjoyed it. I ordered the Shrimp Etoufee ($16), a major taste bud stimulus, was fabulous.

Water is provided in bottles, two problems here being the facts that the table water glasses are barely larger than shot glasses...and being Americans, on a warm night, we had to request ice. The ice was delivered in a separate glass. When later during the meal we asked our waitress for additional ice, her body language made it clear that the request was a major imposition, but that she would bring it...which she never did. Again, eventually one of the owners passed by, we again requested ice, and it arrived.

The indoor dining area is a nice room, but it is noisy...and the tables are placed quite close to one another. The tables are large, so with my wife directly across from me, we had some difficulty communicating, but we made do.

The desserts are probably good, but we were out of room...we nevertheless asked what sort of options were available, they included a coconut cake (which the waitress said was terrific), a cheesecake, a chocolate tart, among others. Next time, guess we will skip the appetizer so we can try out the desserts.

Bottom line, this restaurant is a great addition to the options available in Hendersonville for nice evening dining, great food, very reasonable prices, would have given it five stars had the service been better. We have every reason to believe our future visits WILL be at five star level!

Date of visit: April 2016
1  Thank petergoode2

Thank you for your review and your honest opinions.You are correct and the food is amazing. Since your review we have been working on training with our staff. We hope on your next visit that our service is top notch. There is addition parking in front of the Inn and on the other side of the Inn there is a large city parking lot. We hope you come back soon and give us another try.

Reviewed 29 April 2016

Had a lovely dinner last night, everyone was very happy with food. My gumbo was delicious, spiced just right, and had unexpected highlights of three enormous grilled shrimp. My salad was lovely, greens fresh and nuts and cranberries chopped just right....don't you hate getting a whole walnut to deal with in a salad? Well the nuts were rough chopped, mingling in flavor with about the best goat cheese I've ever tasted. The presentation was lovely, with what looked like an entire avocado sliced decoratively. The only glitch was that we came in after a large group and waited quite a while for our dinner. But since they brought more of their yummy nut bread out, and the evening was balmy, we had chosen to eat outside so we didn't mind. The she crab soup lovers at our table slurped it all to the last drop. We're looking forward to stopping by for one of their fancy drinks and to split an appetizer....that deck beckons.

Date of visit: April 2016
1  Thank schdyannie

Thank you for your kind words. Since we are boutique restaurant the larger parties can slow our kitchen down. We do not take large parties from 5 to 7:30 anymore so please come back and enjoy our deck again. We have music most weekends!