Dat's Cajun
Ranked #66 of 204 Restaurants in Hendersonville
Reviewed 9 August 2017

If you have only ate at an uptown, fancy New Orleans restaurant when visiting, then you might be disappointed. This is a typical N.O, neighborhood restaurant where a family will eat.. It is not fancy. I am from N.O. and my wife and I still have many relatives there. We have been here several times. Food - Gumbo - a sausage and seafood (shrimp, crawfish, crab meat) gumbo, good an not too spicy. Shrimp creole - good, however, my wife thought it was a little to tomatery for her. Shrimp platter (we had 44 large shrimp w/o heads, sausage and potatoes). It can be shared as an appetizer for four people. We shared it and then shared a soft shell crab plate. Both were so good that my wife gave it the best compliment - "It feels like home!" N.O. style po-boy sandwiches (They come in 6" or 12" sizes)- Roast beef - Expect it to be sloppy with gravy. This is the way we in N.O. like it! It is the best Roast beef sandwich I have had outside of New Orleans! Shrimp Po-boy- 6" with 12 fried shrimp on it -delicious! The bread comes in from Gambinos bakery in N.O. One suggestion is to keep the bread in the oven longer. It will make the bread crispier. It may surprise some that they also have lasagna on the menu. N,o, area has many Italians and most of the neighborhood restaurants serve their version of lasagna. The chef gets all of his seafood fresh from New Orleans (the shrimp and fish do not come from China like many other restaurants in the area). This is expensive for him, but I am willing to pay a little more for this. However, the portions are large. If you want original N.O neighborhood food, this is it!

Reviewed 5 August 2017

After reading the reviews 6 of us tried this place. Atmosphere is poor with the soda drink dispensor facing the tables with constant noise from the waitress's getting ice. Bland decore. Food, roast beef with mac and chees, the beef was large hunks of poor quality beef in gravy and some tasteless mac and cheese. the creole dishes were either over spicy or under tasteless. Now what cajin place serves lasagna??? well so spicy it was uneatable. Just a mis mash of items that don't live up to cajin.

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

We stopped by tonight after seeing all the pictures of the food on Facebook.

Staff was very friendly and attentive. They even brought us out a sample of the creole so we could make sure that's what we wanted before we ordered an entire bowl.

My husband ordered the creole plate with fried shrimp and he was in love at first bite!! There is an upcharge of $2 to get shrimp, but it was well worth it. Portion size of the plate was more than ample with approximately 15 or more large size shrimp.

I had the red beans and rice and fried shrimp. It was SO good! It had the perfect amount of spice, getting warmer the more you ate....but it didn't burn your face off!

We enjoyed speaking with the owner and his family while there. We liked this place better than any food we had while we were down in New Orleans. Thanks Dat's Cajun! We will be back soon!

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

This is a true treasure to find in Hendersonville! Chef David speaks with pride about serving no nonsense, non-touristy Cajun food. Serves completely fresh seafood, flavored authentically, that leaves just the nicest little heat on the lips. A roast beef po'boy that melts in your mouth. Portions that leave you more than satisfied. Breading on fried dishes that is light as can be. Boiled shrimp with just the right "snap", and what a flavor! Can get entrees in a bowl or complete with all the trimmings. This is food that NOLA natives would stand in line for!

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Let's get the minor issue over. Way overpriced soft drinks. For the food, you do pay high for lunch but you get a lot of food. Worth the price.
First time I had the sausage poor boy. I ordered the big one at $10. Two huge links on a hoagie. I'm a big eater but had to take one home. I should have ordered the half size at $6. It would have been enough. Second time I had a bowl of red beans and rice with sausage and ham. Plenty enough. She had Mac and cheese the first time and the lasagna (Not traditional Italian style) and loved both of them.