See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Tried two different rooms, all had a distinct odor of mildew and other biological miscelli that assault you in the face as soon as you open the door. Staff claimed not to notice, possibly have no ability to smell. Insects were attracted to my room, had to buy my own fly strips and stomp a roach from entering my bed. AC unit is loud and has approximate temperature ratings of 'cold' and 'arctic blast,' with a single fan speed of 'gale force.' On the plus side, anyone with tinnitus like myself will be entirely unable to hear it over the ChillMaster 500000 next to your bed. Had to request a change of the lights above the sink as none of them worked, and the shower drain would back up slightly at times, revealing to us a Tangle Monster of previous tenants' hair. Someone decided to use the sink drain as a trashcan, which the management was apparently unable to remedy.

If my car seat laid down completely flat, I would have flipped a coin to decide whether I stayed at this place for in my vehicle. I wish I had taken pictures of everything.

Room Tip: Rooms not in this motel are definitely the best.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeremy G
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Upon arriving we saw a huge old fashioned bi-level motel. The woman at the desk was pleasant as she told us about the motel policies and some local historical attractions. We had reserved online earlier that day and also called to confirm that they were ready for us. We were issued a room upstairs face-front to the left of the office (which is open 24 hrs) so we felt safe enough. As well our car was parked to the side of the office window.

The room itself has 3 locks and although we felt no strange vibes during our stay here - this was good to have regardless. The carpet and linoleum appeared to be new and fresh so I felt comfortable walking barefoot. The bathroom was clean, in fact the bathtub was so clean I actually took a bath in it which is rare for me in an away-from home travel situation.

There is a small, clean fridge and a microwave, plus a TV (it's a CRT but it goes with the place). The phone in the room is also very retro - haven't seen one of those box phones in ages :D ... Note: if your looking for the latest flatscreen perhaps this isn't the place for you ;)

Although our room was facing the courtyard and highway the noise from the road didn't bother me during the night. I recommend the rooms towards the most indented back area of the motel as they are farthest from the road.

+Another plus: no obnoxious, loud, chain-smoking neighbors that party till dawn!!!

In the morning there is fresh coffee available which was good black (that's how I drink coffee mostly so I'm picky about taste), plus an ice machine to stock up our cooler.

All in all - this is a cool vintage motel experience with an affordable rate and I recommend this place.

Room Tip: top floor is nice
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ayia A
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I called and asked for early check in and they offered to check me in at 1pm instead of 3pm. I ended up not getting to the hotel till 6pm, and I found out that they upgraded me from a standard queen sized bed to a King sized bed room, which was nice. Although the outside of the hotel looked a bit rough there are 3 locks on the door and I felt safe (and as a 20 something female traveling alone that was helpful). Everything was clean and the TV and fridge work fine. For the amount I paid it is a great value.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank ahahn004
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I didn't feel safe at all in this motel, I didn't experience any problems with dirty beds or carpets etc but I would not recommend this area for tourists! For what we paid I can't complain though and it had free wifi.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My company sent me to the North Carolina coast on July 3, 2014, as Hurricane Arthur approached. (I work for an electric utility.) The choice was to either sleep on a cot at a local high school or stay at the Sherwood Motel. Let's just say I made the wrong decision.

This hotel was old and nasty. My room looked nothing like the pictures on the hotel's website or Trip Advisor. The carpet was disgusting, the towels were like sandpaper, there weren’t enough outlets for the lamps they have in the room, the walls are super thin, random people were just hanging out outside my door (keep in mind that a hurricane is passing through the area at the same time), I could clearly hear the couple next door having some "adult" fun (she seemed to be enjoying it) …I could go on.

I tried to fall asleep around 10 p.m. Two hours later, as I tossed and turned trying not think of how disgusting this place was, I went on my smartphone and booked a room at the Hampton Inn down the street for the next night. That Hampton Inn was delightful.

I know the Sherwood Motel is cheap, and that may be a consideration for you. But spend a few extra bucks and try to get into the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express down the street.

Room Tip: Don't stay here; go to the Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express down the street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business