“One of the good HGI properties”

Hilton Garden Inn Durham Southpoint
Ranked #10 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Istanbul, Turkey
“One of the good HGI properties”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Typical HGI standards. One of the newer properties. At the better end of HGI breakfast. Service people are very polite, cooked to order chef is good.
Located next to a high en shopping mall. I was travelling for business and did not have time to hang out in down town - and frankly, I do not know what is in downtown. There are good restaurants nearby. There is a Ruth Chris in the property, which was a plus. Healthy food options in the mall and in surrounding strip malls are plenty. There are number of Spa's available for a relaxing massage, though could not try one because of bad timing, i will plan ahead next time.
In the evening it gets really quite, which is a plus for me.

1 Thank Levent G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Across from great mall, upgraded us to a suite and extended our check out time. Breakfast was made to order, waitstaff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is a relatively new hotel, located in the middle of the parking lot of a strip shopping area, across the street from a huge shopping mall. So, if shopping is your game, this hotel has an excellent location. Even if you aren't a big shopper, and you are working in the RTP area, as I was, this hotel has a great location. Because of all the shopping draw, there is also a very wide range if eating establishments close by as well. There is even a Ruth Chris adjacent to the hotel.

The rooms were clean and had the typical appointments (TV, wired and wireless Internet), with the added bonus of an in room refrigerator. I like having a frig so I can enjoy refreshments (e.g. beer) without it costing a fortune. I was glad they had a wired Internet connection, since the wireless one was not that good from my room. Although, even the wired one wasn't fast, so don't expect to do any video streaming, or real work, from the room.

A breakfast buffet was included with my room, but I'm not sure if that applied to everyone. The buffet was okay, with an okay selection of items (eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, some fruits and cereal). I think they made items (e.g. omelets) to order, but I didn't, and I never saw anyone else so I wasn't sure if that was an option or not. They certainly don't advertise that once you get down to the breakfast area.

There is a bar, somewhat, in the lobby, and they provide free beer, wine, and appetizers on Wednesday from 5->7PM. They also provide free freshly made cookies every night!

Overall I enjoyed my stay there, especially considering it was only about $125 a night, so about what I expected for that price hotel.

Burbank, California
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We reserved a one bedroom suite. First of all, we arrived at 4:00pm (check in is at 3:00) and our room wasn't ready. We had to stand around in the lobby for about 45 minutes waiting with a very unhappy baby in tow. To forgive this issue, we were offered certificates for breakfast in the mornings, but no real apologies. When we finally got to the room, it wasn't properly cleaned. The toilet actually had urine in it. When I called housekeeping to let them know this, they didn't seem to really care; I was asked if they wanted someone to come flush it for me (really?). I let it go as we had places to go anyway. The room itself was decent with a nice jetted tub. Their beds, however, are hard as a rock. They are supposed to be adjustable, but ours didn't work. When we finally got our bill at checkout, all seemed fine, our total was 334.52. They charged my card over 400.00 though and I have yet to hear back from the manager about these charges and why we were overcharged. We'll see what happens. With all of these issues, I certainly wouldn't choose to go back--which is a shame, because the location is excellent.

1 Thank CarissaBryn
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This is a great hotel. The staff is awesome and the Chef on the burners is awesome this guy really knows how to make an omelet and he provides great customer service (people service). Not sure of his name but he always wears black and greets you with a wonderful smile and how do you do. The rooms are always clean and the beds are very comfortable. I have stayed here on short weekend get always for the past 4 years. Now I must talk about the gym, yes bring your workout clothes it is well worth it they even have yoga and floor mats, weights, water and other things that us regular folks like. To the staff and management I say a job well done. You guys are OUTSTANDING!

Room Tip: Be sure to state if you want a double room or not, I think the double is standard.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends