“Good food and lots of it at above average prices comparatively”

Maggiano's - Durham
Reserve with OpenTable
Maggiano's - Durham is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 855 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Welcome to Maggiano's Durham located in the Streets of Southpoint Mall. The mall is 5 miles from Research Triangle Park off Interstate 40. Please call us for more specific directions. Maggiano's dining room is an ideal location for your dinner, baby shower, or important client meeting. The seasonal patio seats 25 and has an old-world feel of dining on the bustling streets of Florence. So join us soon! We look forward to hosting your next business or family gathering.
Reviewed 18 October 2017

We recently dined at Maggiano's in Durham's Southpoint mall. We have been to other restaurants in this chain, so we were anticipating good food and a lot of it. We were not disappointed.

We were there on a Tuesday night at about 7 PM and the restaurant was about half full. Our waiter (Peter) greeted us quickly and was very personable and provided some pre-dinner humor. He did a great job of explaining the menu and pointed out that if we ordered from the left side of the menu we would also get the option of taking home one of the classic entrees at no cost.

After looking over the menu, all of us took him up on that offer.

Before the entrees arrived we took advantage of the seemingly infinite Italian bread with olive oil. We also had salads that arrived before the entrees. The salads were fresh but just average in quality. The bread was piping hot and seemed to be fresh baked.

We got spaghetti with meatballs, Chicken Parmesan, and Chicken Picatta. Everything was very nicely prepared - pasta was cooked 'al dente', and all entrees were hot and delicious. The volume of food was large and we were too full to even consider dessert. As a family we are very picky about Italian food and we all agreed this was the best Italian food we had ever had at a chain restaurant. (Note: We have been to many other non-chain Italian restaurants that have landed on either side of this rating in quality).

Prices are a bit high for an Italian chain restaurant, however, the quality is good and the atmosphere and volume do provide valid justification.

We took home three entrees off the classic menu because of ordering off the left side of the entree menu and those meals were also very good, even after being reheated.

Side note: If you have 4 or more in your party (there were only three of us) you get the option of having your meals 'family style' which provides tremendous amounts of food that you can all share. It is a really great deal, but only if you are very hungry as it might not be worth it if you can only eat the standard amount in an entree. I have done this before with large groups and it was fantastic. We all got to sample various entrees (seemingly unlimited amounts) and all left pleasingly stuffed!

If you have a big appetite and are OK with paying a little more than usual for Italian food, I think you will appreciate what Maggianno's has to offer. And if you order off the left side of the menu, you get to double the experience.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

First let me say we've been dining at Maggiano's since it opened at Southpoint. We always enjoyed the Sinatra music, the good food, and above-average service. Something has changed in the last year or so as far as the quality of the food which sadly has deteriorated. One person had chicken parmesan which was fair, two of us had salads with salmon (small overcooked salmon which was very dry) and the fourth party had lasagne which she did not enjoy because it was cold in the middle. So none of us really enjoyed our meal and it was expensive for what we got. The waitress was very good but afraid the food was not so sorry to say we will not be returning.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

I told the waitress I was allergic to gluten so they sent a chef out to take my order. I ordered gluten free pasta which came very quickly but I got a bit worried as I started to eat because there seemed to be bread crumbs sprinkled over. Surely they wouldn't put regular bread crumbs over a gluten free pasta dish, I thought. But when I found a member if staff and asked to check with the chef he confirmed it was regular bread and should not have been put on. Lucky i hadn't carried on eating it. They offered to make me another but i went straight home as I was worried I would be sick as I had already eaten some and my reaction can be quite bad. I'd recommend you don't eat here if you have allergies. The menu looks great but they are clearly not set up to do this properly.

1  Thank zannypops
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Great service, love their food especially the salads. A must try at southpoint mall outside part of mall.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Three of us went for lunch early afternoon Saturday. No lunch menu. Only dinner or brunch. We ordered dinners, too much food and money for lunch. Entrees do not come with salads so it is mid $20 s apiece for entree and a salad. My wife got spaghetti and meatballs and she said it was good, but it came with just one meatball. My son had a shrimp and chicken dish that he enjoyed. I ordered chicken marsala and I was very disappointed. The chicken cutlets were tender and nicely breaded but the marsala sauce was awful. Very salty, tomato based sauce. I have never had a marsala sauce like it. I asked the waiter if I had the right order and he assured me I did. It was not the traditional sweet marsala sauce I have enjoyed at many Italian restaurants. Overall it was a lot of money for inconsistent food. What made it more disappointing is that it has a good varied menu and being our first visit I hoped to come back and try other offerings. Now there's no way.

1  Thank Bob F

Been to Maggiano's - Durham? Share your experiences!