“expensive motel room”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duck
Advice 5 Cents, a bed & breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Duck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 January 2009

B&B was very clean and the experience was quiet and relaxed. But in reality it was only an expensive motel room. Breakfast was less than a continental type found at basic hotels. Owner was curt and formal. B&B's that I stayed at had more personality. It was a good five minutes from the beach and closer to the town of Duck. I made comment to the owner relating to the "sprawl" of the outer banks and she found offense to this comment. Yet she was directly responsible to the cause. Anyway she took my money and I was off. Sad to see the small town growing out of bounds.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
5  Thank bransondog
There are newer reviews for Advice 5 Cents, a bed & breakfast

Reviewed 10 November 2008

Ok, i finally get it. This place is all about the Lucy character in the Penuts comic strip. If you're like me (Charlie Brown) and hate having the football pulled away just as you're about to kick, then you'll be disappointed in this B&B.

The place is very clean, and new, with good common areas to share with other guests.

BUT just as you're about to say, "hey, this really is worth the money" then something happens to remind you that Lucy's psychology is at work here. Crabby or non-existent innkeeper, poor communication skills, a take-it-or leave it breakfast (god help you if you don't favor processed overly sweet baked goods and crave a simple fried egg or yogurt with granola).

I had the room beneath the kitchen where you awake to stomping above on a tile floor,..well before breakfast is served.

I've had Days Inn room clerks and maids be more interested in my comfort than these folks.

If you want folks that will try hard to make you happy, stay at the Sanderling or another inn. Duck a high-rent place, and the beach is wonderful.

Just have your expectations down to the 5-cent level when you stay here.

• Stayed: October 2008
5  Thank bootsrmade4wkn
Reviewed 2 July 2008

This is a comfortable B&B. I was satisfied with the central location to the beach and shops, as well as with the size of the room and the quality of the bedding (great fluffy towels). Yes, the owners keep to themselves, but then, we weren't there much ourselves. Breakfast was more of a continental style, with fresh baked scones and a large fruit salad. Great coffee. We did not experience the problem with refills - they were very attentive with regards to that. If you are looking for more of an authentic B&B visit, The Duck Inn (just down the road) is probably more your style. If you are looking for a very comfortable, convenient B&B, with more of a "small hotel feel," I would recommend Advice 5 cents.

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank NCTraveller08
Reviewed 1 July 2008

My daughter and I stayed at Advice 5cents on June 25th and 26th. We are very familiar with this area of the Outer Banks as our family has been vacationing in Duck and Corolla for the past 15 years. However, our family has always rented a cottage for a full week, and my daughter and I were there only for the weekend as we were scouting out potenial venues for her upcoming wedding. I thought it would be fun to try a bed and breakfast, so I found this place on the Outer Banks website. The reservation process was easy. Although we had to leave a voice message when I called to make the reservation, K.T. was very quick in getting back to me, and the reservation was a breeze.

The B&B has been in business for 13 years, but the house is so well maintained that it looks brand new. Nancy and Donna, the owners, are both active in the Duck Volunteer Fire Department (Donna is the Fire Chief), and the house felt very safe and secure. There are 5 rooms, all on the 2nd floor of the house, each with ensuite bathrooms. Four of the rooms have queen size beds, and the fifth has two twins. The rooms are very attractive, and are a nice size. Each room has its own private balcony to enjoy the sea breezes. You cannot see the ocean from most of the rooms, but you only need to walk down to the end of the block and the ocean is right there. There is plenty of off-street parking. The beds in our room were very comfortable, and we had a small flat-screen tv with cable. There is also internet access. The towels were very thick and absorbant, and the bathroom had nice amenities included.

The first morning we were there, we were the only ones there, and Nancy had the time to cook us the most wonderful french toast with fresh blueberries. Breakfast our second morning was continental, with fresh fruit, juice, home baked banana bread, and cranberry/orange bread, and excellent coffee.

There is a large living area on the top floor, with ocean views and a fireplace for cold weather, as well as a smaller sitting room on the 2nd floor, which is where all the guest rooms are. The house is large, and has lots of windows, just the way a house at the beach should be.

The name comes from the Peanuts comic strip. (think of Lucy...)

If you are interested in going to the Outer Banks and don't want to hassle with a cottage, this is a great alternative.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank VegasJEC
Reviewed 18 May 2008

A friend and I stayed here for a weekend. There were four or five other guests at the time. I guess the proprietors are sort of hospitality-challenged, as other travelers report, but we didn't care. What pissed us off was the "breakfast" portion of the experience. There was plenty of coffee and tea, but the muffins (homemade but reheated in the microwave) were the miniature type and the owners were slow to refill the basket when it emptied (in about four seconds flat), as if hoping we might forget about eating and leave before they had to expend any more resources on us. There were some cantaloupe slices, and a tiny, tiny little glass of orange juice (one per guest, no refills). I dunno. I guess we felt paying $170/day entitled us to be fed more substantially, e.g. eggs, cereal, bacon, ham, kibble... ANYTHING that would fill our bellies. We needed somethin' to eat, man! When the owners were out of the room, we commiserated with our fellow inmates, straining to hear 'em over the roar in our stomachs. One guy whispered that he'd spotted a pancake house up the road. So, one by one each party slipped out of Stalag 5 and made their way to the restaurant. Still going to Advice 5 Cents? Enjoy your pretty room and your 2.1 ounces of juice.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank Adventurer09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck
7.6 km away
Surf Side Hotel
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
17.7 km away
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Advice 5 Cents, a bed & breakfast? Share your experiences!