“Well preserved Antebellum Plantation”
Review of Somerset Place

Somerset Place
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Creswell
Reviewed 5 January 2012

It was a little ways through the countryside to get to the house but well worth it. This site contrasts the lives of the plantation owners as well as the slaves that supported the household. The story of the young owners son and slave friend who drowned in the cannel next to the house was touching. There are many fine antiques and paintings in the house. A well informed and interesting docent was our guide. Nearby is Pocosin Wildlife Refuge is near by- Great for nature photography.

3  Thank Barbara B
"day trip"
in 7 reviews
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 26 October 2009

If you have even the slightest interest in plantations or slavery, I highly recommend a visit to Somerset Place. My visit erased and re-wrote many of my prior misconceptions about plantation life. Our guide was excellent and extremely knowledgable, and she made the stories that took place in the restored buildings come alive. I'm guessing some of the "facts" presented about how the slaves were treated may have been sugarcoated in typical Southern fashion, but that's to be expected.

The restored buildings are excellent, and I was really surprised at the number of "artifacts," such as cookware, kitchen utensils and old medical tools and equipment. I had never seen a rocking butter churn before. The owner's home is also excellently restored, although I found those furnishings and housewares a little less interesting, simply because I have seen similar items in other period homes. I had never seen some the types of beds, baskets and tools displayed in the slaves cabins or in the hospital. The contrast between the furnishings of the owners and of the slaves was even more drastic that I had expected.

We are so lucky that the detailed records kept by the owners of the plantation were preserved over time. We are also lucky that the owner's home and other buildings have been so well restored.

The only downside to Somerset Place is its extremely remote location, far from any other valuable historic or fun tourist sites or attractions. However, it's not far from the main road leading to North Carolina's Outer Banks ... and it's well worth a stop along the way. Including the tour, I spent about two hours at Somerset Place.

7  Thank Kleetampa
Reviewed 10 October 2008

On our trip we were priveleged to meet "Alicia" who was our guide for a detailed tour of Somerset Place. We asked why the buildings were so well perserved and she told us it was because the plantation is so far from anything.

Our tour began in a room which had a map of the plantation. There wwas the two of us and our guide, Alicia. Alicia spent 20-30 minutes at the beginning of the tour presenting the plantation to us and explaining plantation life and the economic approach taken towards running this business. The plantation had over 300 slaves at its height. Alicia then spent the next 1.5-2 hours accompanying us on a tour of the various buildings and grounds. She was a pleasure to meet and was overflowing with knowledge. We were very grateful for her efforts and felt this was the best tour we had ever experienced. We told Alicia that she should be foilmed for a PBS special on this interesting location. If you can at all get to here, take the time to go on the tour and send yourself back to the 19th century. It is a very interesting trip!

11  Thank bobba