“Peaceful and beautiful ”

Smokemont Riding Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Smokemont Riding Stables is located within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park just off US 441, 6 miles north of Cherokee, North Carolina. We offer guided horseback riding trips from one hour to 4 hours long. Each ride is unique and may feature river crossing or waterfall views. We also have a horse drawn wagon ride that goes along the Oconaluftee River on the historic turnpike road.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We absolutely loved this ride. We arrived before the noon ride without reservations and were lucky that 2 spots were open for the 2 1/2 hour ride. They were able to accommodate my stepdaughter who was in a walking boot. We were asked our experience with riding and horses were assigned based on skill level and age. We were give a brief orientation about horse safety and what to expect on the trail. Those that were unfamiliar with horses were given specific time instructions on how to control the horse.
We mounted individually off a platform and proceeded down a well groomed trail with a few hills and several small wooden bridges that cross a stream several times. The scenery was beautiful as we rode along the stream that eventually led to a waterfall. We dismounted and spent some time there and remounted using a platform and returned on the same trail with one short variation.
The horses seemed healthy and well cared for and the employees were very friendly and knowledgeable.

Elizabeth C, Owner at Smokemont Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thank you for your review. We are glad ya'll loved the ride!

All reviews
"longer ride"
in 6 reviews
"experienced riders"
in 10 reviews
"highly recommend this stable"
in 4 reviews
in 224 reviews
"sonny"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

You can tell the folks love what they do. Very friendly. Very safety oriented.

We had a great time and our 7 year old had never ridden before. They were great and showed her what to do and not do.

The trail ride was great. Up and down the mountain and through the river. The four of us had a blast and it was well worth the drive.

We will be back for one of the longer rides!!!

Thank you for your review and choosing to ride with us. We do love what we do and we are happy ya'll enjoyed the ride!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We had SUCH AN AMAZING TIME!! We’d done another horseback ride earlier in the week and the kids loved it so much decided to do it again. I wanted to try this one so my 5 year old son could go on his own horse (doubling up was really uncomfortable on the other ride). He was nervous at first but the young ban that got him settled in his saddle (Dillan?) was really sweet and made sure he wasn’t too nervous. Our guide Joe was just so awesome with both of the kids. Joe led my sons horse and listened to all of my sons stories, and had a great conversation along the way. He was so kind and patient with my little chatter box. We did the 1 hour ride which leads through 2 streams and a tunnel each way. He pointed out a few things along the way that were nice little bits of smoky mountain facts. It’s a beautiful ride up the mountain in the forest. There’s no summit view but all along the trail you can see the mountains through the forest. Jake won’t stop talking about the horse and his new friend Joe “the cowboy”. I can’t wait to come again next year!!

Thank you for your review and choosing to ride with us. We cant wait for your next visit!

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

We went here with my 12 year old and 6 year old and went on the 1 hour ride. We crossed a river (which was pretty cool), went thru a tunnel, up a mountain and back down the mountain. Our guide was Dylan and he was great! He led my younger sons horse and patiently stopped many times to fix his saddle for him. He was very knowledgable on the area and provided lost of facts and suggested places of interest for us. All of the staff was great and very friendly. I would definately visit this place again!

Thank you for your review and choosing to ride with us. Come ride again soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

We did the 2.5 hour trip! Our daughter 9, sons 12 & 17 everyone had an amazing time on the horses!!! Buck was our guide he is a true outdoorsman we felt VERY safe in his capable lead!! The rest of the staff are amazing as well super kind friendly and helpful!!! I lost my car keys, hotel keys, ID, phone & cash they didn’t test til I was able to find it! They even had to stay after closing tome to help us out!! We would have been strAnded if I hadn’t found it!!! They are true heroes and SO VERY KIND they did everything to help me stay calm about the whole ordeal and my kids were all well assured also!! They made the trip go from an all out nightmare to a truly enjoyable experience!!! We are incredibly grateful for their generosity & kindness!

Thank you for your review and choosing to ride with us. And thank goodness your stuff was found. Come ride again soon!