“Great motel but horrible staff”

Super 8 Charlotte Downtown Area
Ranked #118 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

I wish I could rate this place two different ways. I would rate the facility/room 3 out of 5 stars. The customer service is 1-2 stars out of 5. Overall, because the front desk service is so horrible, I have to rate this entire place as a whole as a 2. I stayed at this place a total of 16 days.

The motel as a facility was great. In my opinion it was a tid pricey because though as it's a Super 8 and I paid $80 a night.

The Continental breakfast was very disappointing. The sole plus was being able to make a waffle. Other than that, there were 2 different cereals, stale sliced bread, bananas, and stale cinnamon buns. It does include free Wifi which was fantastic. It went out a couple of times, but only for a minute or two. My husband and I needed a smoking room as he smokes and ours had a wonderful king size bed that was extremely comfortable. There was also a very big flat screen TV that included HBO and tons of channels. However, if it even rained slightly the satellite would go out, which was annoying. There was a desk for working and a little table to eat at with two chairs. We had a handicap room so the bathroom was very spacious. The only big problem was that if I walked in my room barefoot, the bottom of my feet turned back. That was gross and needs to be addressed by the staff. The room also included a mini refrigerator and microwave. Overall, I was very pleased with the room and I believe that is the standard across that motel so that's a huge plus.

Now the service... this is where the problem is. The front desk is terrible. The housekeepers were wonderful and very kind. The entire staff needs corporate to come down and train them on how to speak to customers because I have never been so offended in my life. The Assistant Manager, an older Indian woman desperately needs training if she is going to continue to "manage" this place. I have read a TON of reviews about her specifically and I am disappointed Super 8 has done NOTHING about it. It makes me think they do not care what their consumers -- the people that keep their business running go through.

I stayed at this motel while I had a flooding issue at my home. One Sunday I had to visit my home to inquire if we could go back or needed to stay at the room a couple of more nights. Check out was at 11 AM and I got back at noon. My husband and I had already been there almost a week and spent a hundreds of dollars and while I was gone, the things the Assistant Manager said to my husband were disgusting and appalling. My husband explained that I was on the way back to the motel from our home to pay for a couple of more nights and could he please stay in the room until I returned. The manager started screaming at him and would not let him talk. She told him that we aren't children and that we should have planned better. They do not give refunds so there was no way I was going to pay for a room and then lose that money so that's why we had to wait. She said to him "YOU PEOPLE are always taking advantage of us". We were appalled at what the hell she could have meant by "you people" and she told my husband that he had to pack up our entire room AND GET OFF OF THE PROPERTY. This woman would not even let him wait outside of the room with our 4 suitcases and 3 bags. All of this because I was 1 hour past check out. I had explained our situation to her, I told her I was on the way back to pay for the room, and she put my husband through that because of 1 damn hour. My husband was so mad and offended that he was in tears when I arrived back. She spoke to him like trash and if she were my employee, she would have been fired on the spot. I work in Human Recourses Management and it is disgusting that she speaks to customers this way and continues to get away with it. She also took away our $20.00 deposit because of that one hour. I just could not believe it.

I will never in my life ever stay there again until Super 8 starts to value its customers and do something about this.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Exceptionally clean super 8. Clean pool. Clean grounds or insects in room. Good room keys. Good air conditioner, and beds, working ice machine, good clean shower. Towels are changed daily and bed sheets.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2017

Assigned room #221. Supposedly a non-smoking room. Smells old and smoky. Next morning my respiratory system was sending up mucus. No posted signs in room that indicate it is designated as a nonsmoking room. I gave hotel two stars because of cleanliness. I wasn't treated good but I'm black African and really don't care anymore. As Ellen Digenesis say, Right back at you! Garbage man or woman!!!! Be you Indian or whatever! Because respect don't all get respect in this world. Also in reference to problem encountered, I resolved it by asking the young Indian girl to just take the credit card and charge my card for the room and I will be gone tomorrow morning as soon as daylight come. I'm 55. No time to left to argue over my worthless blackness. I know it's all my people actions that cause racism and hatred in America so........ Thank you for your hatred regardless of who's fault it is.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed 14 July 2017

Breakfast included in price, but nonexistent. The toaster broken, the coffee machine broken, no bred, no margarine, no jam, nothing. The price high for such a treatment.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed 13 July 2017

I very rarely take risks of staying at a motel because they can be kind of sketchy, but this one was definitely a pleasant surprise. The rooms were very clean, the bath tub was absolutely spotless, the beds were comfortable (not to mention HUGE), and was in great distance of downtown and Carowinds. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and I would definitely stay here again when returning to Charlotte.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple