“The soul of it all !!:))”

Mert's Heart & Soul
Ranked #64 of 2,685 Restaurants in Charlotte
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Neighbourhood: First Ward
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I recently visited Charlotte N C like I always do at the last minute.lol.I always like to walk around the downtown area to see what might be new from the last visit.I spotted a restaurant called Merts Heart & Soul restaurant that had a" special of the day (oxtails)" .After ordering,I was very satisfied with the food & service. You REALLY get your money worst. Home cooked SOUL food that's very satisfying......my soul was fulfilled:))))

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My mom and I were desperate for some really good tasting soul food. Being new to Charlotte we were unsure where to go and had heard about Mert’s and how good the food was so we decided to give them a try. That was the best decision we made that day! The service was prompt and the waitress was attentive. This restaurant has a nice friendly vibe and the decor is nice. We will definitely be back again.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

I often stop in for lunch and dinner. Really great Southern Cooking served by very nice people. One of my favorite spots in Charlotte at an unbeatable value.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

A Sunday dinner during March Madness was perfect at Mert’s. If you want the best Southern food in Charlotte, eat at Mert’s . Guests from Oregon and California loved the fried chicken and sweet tea.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

While in Charlotte we wanted to go to Merts because we saw it on Triple D. Even though they were busy we got in right away and were served drinks and cornbread right away. The cornbread was excellent but they must have been running low on butter, because we only got what equated to about two teaspoons. The kitchen is busy but these guys work quickly. Unfortunately the food piles up at he pass and sits, and sits and then sits some more. There is no management moving the food out to the tables and waitresses just walk by it. FINALLY someone would come by and pick up a couple plates. ALL plates sit for a long while. I saw ours sitting at he pass and started timing it. 20 minutes later, we finally flagged someone down who grabbed them. As suspected those plates were ours. We ordered Fried Chicken and Shrimp and grits. The shrimp dish was lukewarm, jelled and the gravy was dried on the edges from the lengthy time under the heat lamps. The worst part was the shrimp was fishy and almost dirty tasting, like it wasn't cleaned. The lady at the table next to me asked what I thought. Hers was similarly dried out and we both commented on the fishy taste. Neither of us ate it. But the mac and cheese, fried chicken and coconut cake was good. But there is so little concern about whether customers are getting a freshly prepared hot plate. It seems like a little better management would do some good. Anyway, we were disappointed and wont be back.