“Authentic Ramen”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

Authentic everything, actually. This place is really good. Service is good but expect a bit of a language barrier, nothing terrible though. The Ramen here is amazing. They have sushi also. This isn't one of those trendy steakhouses. Very good stuff.

Reviewed 6 August 2016

My daughter and I went here for lunch after a Saturday morning of shopping. We arrived right at Noon opening and there was a line of people waiting to get in. The restaurant was jam-packed and we got the last available table.

We were given a lunch menu, but no sushi ala carte menu, which I thought a little strange for a Japanese restaurant. I asked for one and the waitress said I could have one if I wanted, but if I ordered something that was not on the lunch menu, it would probably take a very long time, because they were busy. I got the hint, and declined. This was quite disappointing. We went to a Japanese restaurant because we wanted sushi, but couldn't do ala carte orders.

There were 3 different bento boxes on the lunch menu. One of the really nice things about this restaurant is they had freshly made display versions of the three boxes at the front of the restaurant, so you could go take a look to see exactly what you were ordering. Great idea, especially for my younger daughter who's a bit of a picky eater.

We each ordered a bento box meal. I also ordered a shrimp shumai appetizer, which WAS on the lunch menu.

We received our bento boxes in a reasonable amount of time, and the food was pretty good. No complaints whatsoever about the quality of the meal. I'd give food quality 4 fours.

However, we never received the shrimp shumai. Twice during our meal, I reminded the staff about this order. But by the time we finished our bento boxes, the waitress said they didn't even have time to start making it yet, so they would have to cancel the order.

So here's the deal with this place, when it comes to lunch, at least on a Saturday:

1. Be there right when the doors open, or you may not get a seat.

2. Be aware that you're probably not going to be able to get ala carte sushi.

3. If you're not getting one of the 3 bento box special lunches, be prepared for a very long wait, or to maybe not get your food at all.

The restaurant simply isn't sufficiently staffed to be able to provide much of anything outside of the bento box specials for a busy lunchtime crowd. That's basically all the chef staff was doing, was scrambling to make the bento boxes. They didn't have time/resources to do hardly anything else.

The food was good, but realize you're going to have very limited choices. Maybe it's better during the week, or for dinner, but for Saturday lunch, we were disappointed with the service and selection.

Bottom line: If you like their bento boxes, and you're OK with getting one of those for Saturday lunch, then this is a good choice. If you want something else, or you want ala carte sushi, you're probably better off finding a different restaurant.

Reviewed 11 June 2016 via mobile

My family and I eat here often. We love the authentic vibe of this family run restaurant. The people who work here remember their customers. They have watched my son grow and even "reprimand" him when he doesn't finish his meal!

The food is delicious. After my operation I NEEDED the comfort of the authentic Ramen. The attention they gave me when I told them I was healing was beautiful.

They don't make places or food like this anymore.

Reviewed 26 March 2016

I found this little gem while on a trip to the south end of Charlotte. Ordered take out of Chicken Teriyaki. I figured when I got it that it would be the standard fare you get at a Japanese steakhouse (Iceberg lettuce for the salad and diced chicken, zucchini, onion for the meal). Boy was I wrong! First, when I walked in, the placed was packed! Looking around, most customers, if not all, were of Asian decent. That was my first sign that I was in for a treat! If this is where the local Asian community eats, you can bet you are getting a more traditional meal. My salad was a delicious seaweed salad with fresh fruit, and my chicken teriyaki was sliced chicken sautéed in a delicious brown (teriyaki) sauce. It was amazing! I also had them put a small amount of "spicy mayonnaise" to dip my chicken in (Oh my!) There's no Japanese White sauce here and no plastic forks for takeout, just chopsticks. If you eat in, they do have forks! Don't let it's location next to Food Lion and the nondescript exterior deter you! Also, I did not order sushi but the trays I saw on the table looked amazing!

Reviewed 23 November 2015

I visited for lunch. The restaurant opens at 12 and closes at 2:00pm There is ALWAYS a line and queue if you arrive between 12-1230 so suggest you opt for a later lunch around 1:00 to avoid a long wait for a table or counter. There are usually choices of 3-4 bento box lunches which combine sushi, sashimi, salad, fish/meat etc for 10-12 dlrsd or the ala carte menu. I lived in Japan for 12 years and Musashi is absolutely the most authentic Japanese restaurant in Charlotte. Small, cozy with autographed Japanese sports figures of note photos on the wall. This is not a fancy spot for celebratory dining. It is a place to go for great sushi, tempura, udon, ramen, katsu etc. A modest election of Japanese beers and sake are also on offer.