“Best sushi in town”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

Love their sushi. Service can be slow but always friendly smiling faces. Rolls are made well, stay together no matter how many pieces of fish they wrap in and on. Nice job!

There are newer reviews for Yama Asian Fusion

Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

Very good experience. Great service. Really good food. Enjoyed ourselves. Amy was a great server! I would definitely come back again.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

Have been coming here off and on for a few years. Usually have consistent preparation, decent sushi, friendly service. The last 2 times I was here I noted that things were off. The sushi was mealy one time, a hot dish came out cold, order was incorrect - that kind of stuff. I recall wondering what was going on here (new chefs? new owner? new business model? etc).

Well some memories fade and I found myself back on a Saturday evening. And tonight I hit the trifecta:

1. The service was abysmal. Had to actually get out of my seat to ask if there was someone staffing our table. What I didn't realize then, is that I would have had better service if I just did things myself! Waited a long time to get the miso soup - yep, it was cold. Table would only get partially cleared between courses. By the time our main items were coming out (I had almost grown a short beard) our table was a bit of a mess from all the other dishes. Had to ask for water refills etc.

2. All the above I can usually overlook if the food is prepared as expected. A dish I order virtually every time and typically comes out meticulously plated in the manner quality sushi chefs typically do - was a mess. Fish was substituted and the pieces themselves were haphazard. Looked like there might be summer intern or worse behind the bar.

3. Well looks aren't everything right? The proof is in the taste-buds. I could possibly overlook items 1 & 2 (but for the prices this place charges, one should never have to) if the food is a home run. Well as you might expect that was most certainly not the case. Some of my sushi/sahimi was fine. However, about one third of the pieces were awful. Mealy. Odd tasting.Wondered what it was that I was eating! I literally spit one piece out and left the remainder of similar cuts untouched. I ate another piece that I regret swallowing, and left the rest of those pieces as well. As I write this I very seriously hope I do not get ill from something I ate there.

To be a bit fair, another diner with me had cooked teriyaki items and found the dish to be good. However a Japanese restaurant should be judged by its sushi and lately Yama gets a "D". This was my last time at Yama. It was once a convenient go to place for decent sushi but no longer. I will have to try Baku or some of the other options in the area.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

We were looking for a simple sushi dinner. Tried 4 rolls Pink Lady, Crunchy , Paul's and Dragon. Really like the Pink Lady and Paul's roll. Price of most rolls (special..) were around $10-$14. Rolls were large.

Reviewed 6 July 2016

Whenever we're in the Charlotte area we always eat at Yama because we know we're going to have a delicious Sushi meal with fresh fish prepared extremely well. This we shared the lunch Bento Box "B" which came with excellent Miso Soap filled with greens and scallions, the "b" Bento is with Sushi. We also shared the Uptown Roll and a Crazy Tuna Roll both were excellent. Jerry our server was very nice, filling our water glasses without us having to ask him. So many restaurants today forget to do that.