“Not like the good old days”
Review of Mama Dip's

Mama Dip's
Ranked #38 of 312 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 4 January 2018

My family has been going to Mama Dips for decades starting when Mama Dip herself ran the kitchen in a little hole in the wall restaurant across the street from where the restaurant is now. What we liked about it was the freshness of the food, generous sizes and reasonable prices. Unfortunately the portions have shrunk, especially the fried chicken which use to be large pieces but now are much smaller. The serve staff are always nice and efficient. We still go on occasion but not as often.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

My family and I stopped by here based on a recommendation from a friend. It's tucked away and very close to the campus of UNC Chapel Hill. We were immediately greeted by friendly staff. The menu has lots of familiar soul food favorites like chicken, fish, chitterlings, collards, beans and such. A couple of us had trout fillets, and the others got country fried steak, and chicken. Servings were decent and the food was tasty. Our server was very sweet and was exceptionally accommodating as we had a few demanding people in our group. The restaurant was clean and welcoming. The crowd was quiet. Its a nice place to take groups, families and singles. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

A LARGE selection of home cooked Southern favorites are on the menu. Staff is extremely helpful. You can't go wrong here!

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

as always, we enjoyed the traditional southern cuisine of mama dip‘s. the fried chicken & vegetables were delicious!

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Mama Dip's was recommended as a good place to go for Southern Cooking. We walked there for lunch from downtown Carrboro where we had been shopping. The building itself is very attractive from the street with a big wrap-around porch where it looks like you can dine in warmer weather. The interior is just as attractive. And then you meet the hostess. It was a bit downhill from there. I truly think that if she had smiled, her face would have cracked. A warm Southern greeting it was Not! Reluctantly she showed us to a table. Fortunately our waiter was friendly and we got back on track.

The menu options were vast. The food itself was good, but not spectacular. I had the signature fried chicken. The buttermilk coating was crisp, but the overall flavor of the chicken was just ok. I have had tastier fried chicken elsewhere. My wife had one of that day's specials, fresh whole bass. It was good, but the plethora of small fish bones made eating a bit of a challenge. For dessert we split a cherry cobbler which was again good but not exceptional. Once done I went to pay at the cash register. The cashier must have been blood related to the hostess because I got the same bored and slightly exasperated service.

Will we go back? Yes! This is a restaurant worth a second try.

1  Thank Jim W