“Worse birthday dinner ever!”
Review of Il Palio

Il Palio
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Palio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 323 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Franklin St. and Estes Dr.
Description: Il Palio is an intimate restaurant located in the Siena Hotel. We strive to emulate the best of the great Italian tradition of hospitality and quality at the table and in the glass. Our vision is simple - use the best local and Italian ingredients as purely as possible and serve them with comfort and pride. We cook as an Italian might in North Carolina.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were married at the Sienna 20 years ago primarily because the food was stellar. We’ve had romantic, sentimental dinners there over the years and so when our son picked I’ll Palio for his birthday dinner we said yes, knowing it would be expensive for a party of 5. What we hadn’t expected was how bad the food would be. Among us, we had 2 good dishes, a beet salad and spicy pasta with shrimp. The mushroom lasagna had microscopic pieces of mushroom, the steak was tough, the eggplant Parmesan had hot house tomatoes floating amongst blobs of mozzarella. In earlier years, the vegetarian options had been outstanding. I think business must be way down because there were few fresh vegetable options, not even a green salad that wasn’t loaded with cheese. The icing on the cake, as it were, was no free dessert offered to my son or for us to share for his birthday. We’re sad about this decision, but we won’t be back.

Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely dinner at Il Palio. The staff are friendly and informative. We tried many dishes, but the highlights were the butternut squash ravioli and the tiramisu.
The tiramisu was the best we’ve had in the states!

Reviewed 30 August 2018

The menu offers some unique twists to authentic Italian fare. We enjoyed the interesting flavors that put the finish to each dish we tried.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Food was delicious, service was good...they have redecorated since my last visit and it is not as unique as it once was. Very, very noisy.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

I had breakfast here while staying at the hotel. It was just ok. I got scrambled eggs and toast. They try to fancy it up too much. It is just not my taste. It wasn’t bad but not something I enjoyed eating either. I did not opt to eat dinner there because not one thing sounded like something I could eat. I am very, very picky with what I will eat. Again, very upscale and fancy foods which are not to my palate. Prices are also very expensive. I guess if you like that type of food, it may be worth it. You can go to their website to see a current menu.