“Char Kuey Teow craving satisfied ”
Review of Merlion - CLOSED

Merlion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 June 2015 via mobile

Did a takeout of Kuey Teow here for dinner. I did an extra spicy one and it was delicious. It was close enough to what u used to have in Singapore. First bite and was transported back. Only reason it is 4 because of the prices. If only the price was close enough to Singapore prices.

Reviewed 16 May 2015

The best time to go is lunch because the prices are much more affordable than dinner. There are different menus for lunch and dinner but everything is delicious no matter what you order so I like the more affordable option. The portions are always large so you may want to split a meal - even lunch - or skip the appetizer otherwise you will be taking plenty of leftovers home. The decor is simple and nothing special but what this place lacks in ambiance they make up for in flavor. The staff is very friendly but not expeditious so make sure you have at least one hour for lunch and at least 90 minutes for dinner. Have fun and enjoy a little taste of Singapore!

Reviewed 25 March 2015

Merlion offers an interesting menu of Singaporean and other Asian food. The quality of the offerings is very good and the prices quite reasonable. Service and atmosphere are also fine. Definitely worth a visit when in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. Good source for take-out as well.

Reviewed 2 February 2015

We don't live in Southern Village, but frequent this spot. The whole fish, samosas and cuisine is delicious. They have a wonderful floral fragrant hot tea and full bar. They are part of the neighborhood, in that they know their patrons, remember things about them, like grandchildren etc. Very personal service.

Reviewed 17 December 2014

I went here on a Sunday night with my husband and one of our friends. I've only been to Singapore once and am by no means an expert on the cuisine, but I must say that everything we ordered was delicious. For appetizers we had the Stuffed You Tiao and steamed dumplings. The steamed dumplings weren't even on the menu, but we saw that the table beside us had them, so we asked for them and they happily accomodated us. The dumplings were good, just like you'd get at any other Asian restaurant, but the shrimp cruller was fantastic! It came with a mango slaw on top and a sweet and spicy sauce that complemented the shrimp and dough prefectly. For our entrees, my friend and I both ordered the Char Kway Teow, which was absoutely delicious. The noodles were cooked perfectly and the sauce was rich and flavorful. My husband had the Chicken Laska, and he said that while it was very good, he wishes he had also ordered the Char Kway Teow.

In a nut shell, Merlion is not only delicious, but is also the only Singaporean restaurant in the Chapel Hill/Durham area. If you're thinking about giving it a chance, you should. I can't wait to go back and try out some of their other dishes.