“Don't waste your time booking with this company”

Calabash Fishing Fleet
Ranked #1 of 5 Tours in Calabash
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We had a group of family members meeting in Myrtle Beach for a family vacation. Several of us wanted to go on a deep sea fishing trip. I contacted Calabash on Wed, July 5, to book a fishing trip for Tuesday, July 11. I spoke with a very nice lady and booked a private charter for 7 people. The only thing required to hold the trip was my credit card, but we were not charged. Also, I didn't receive a confirmation number or any communication, other than verbal for the trip. We were to depart at 8, she informed me that we should arrive at 7:30. Our group of 7 arrived for our private charter and we were informed that the Miss Calabash had already left for a private charter at 6 that morning. We were offered a trip on the head boat, which has over a 100 person capacity. We were given the bargain rate of $40 per person. We accepted since we were already there and ready to fish. The fishing trip was horrible!! Out of the approximately 30 people on board, there were only 3 fish caught that were keepers. There weren't many more even caught at all. Our deck hand Tyler did his best to keep up and help everyone, but that was too many people for one person to handle. This was such a disappointment, since we were expecting a more personalized experience. Some of our the people in our party only came on the vacation for the fishing. It really ruined what should have been a great time for everyone. I understand that there is never a guarantee that fish will be caught, but with a smaller boat, and longer fishing time (as the one we originally booked), you have more options and can visit more fishing holes. Calabash should re-visit their policies and perhaps implement some software solutions to avoid this happening in the future.

1  Thank justme601

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

We had a great time looking at dolphins with our family. Crew was great and entertaining. Water was pretty choppy but worth seeing all the dolphins. Boat is on the older side but doesn't really matter for this purpose.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

Last night we went with a big group to see the 4th of July fireworks. What should have been an enjoyable happy time turned into the cruise from hell. I purposely called ahead to be sure they weren't going out into the ocean and was assured by the woman that they only went into the channel, inter coastal waterway and the Calabash river. Total lie!
We realized when we entered the ocean and the waves were so choppy the boat was rocking badly. There were small children and elderly people and a lot of people throwing up over the side and bow of the boat into the dark choppy very scary water. The crew was selling raffle tickets for trips to fish and see dolphins and were totally uncaring --didnt they see the people lying on the benches below miserable or the older woman puking over the railing? It was a three hour nightmare. Yes we finally saw fireworks but at that point I didn't care. To top it off they had the gall to walk around with a tip jar! And funny that two of my friends won future trips they are giving away. I just read other bad reviews of this company and wish I had before I was traumatized by this trip.

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

My family and I took the morning dolphin cruise on July 3rd. We knew there was a chance we would not see any dolphins, but boy, that sure wasn't the case!! Our Captain Jason was knowledgeable and provided many facts about the areas we cruised through. Additionally, he took a moment to check on our elderly mother who had joined us for the trip to make sure all was well with her. When we got to our dolphin destination, we were beyond pleased with the show. Dolphins everywhere! Not a couple, but many pods. Don't even hesitate when it comes to a decision about which outfit to go with for your dolphin cruise. Calabash is the very obvious choice and we can't wait until our next voyage.

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

I went out on the early boat today. The water was calm. The dolphin were plentiful - not that you could control that at all!! It was such a relaxing time for me. The crew was knowledgeable and entertaining!! Greg took time to show the kids on board the local catch. He also made his way around the boat the entire trip and made conversation with us all. I will do it again next time I'm in town!!