“Hearty Breakfast ”

Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Located adjacent to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Diamond Shoals Restaurant has been serving up the finest local fare for decades. Known for its friendly atmosphere, fresh seafood and southern hospitality, folks have been coming back to Diamond Shoals, year after year, for its award winning clam chowder and crab bisque, homemade crab cakes, and Hatteras Island's only sushi bar. Enjoy a selection of steaks, sandwiches, the island's largest salad bar, an extensive kids menu, and fresh seafood caught by local fishermen.
Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

This is a good choice if you are looking for a hearty breakfast to start your day. The Fisherman Breakfast is a good choice. I would recommend the grits over the hash browns since their grits are prepared to perfection. It is a traditional 2 egg, biscuit (warm and moist) with your choice of sausage or bacon. The service was attentive and you can choose to take your time if you are on vacation or you can speed it up if your in a hurry to get on with the day.

Keith G, Owner at Diamond Shoals, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Robert, it's great that we could help get your day started off on the right foot! It's awesome that our fisherman breakfast hit the spot -- especially the hash browns. Can't wait to have you back!

Kindly,

Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

We ordered just a few things to go (clam chowder- stuffed mushrooms & one other item) for 3 of us (while our little people ate something else at home). The clam chowder was just “ok” - didn’t have many clams at all honestly. I know a lot of people don’t like Hatteras clam chowder as it’s brothy and this is creamy but I’ve had better creamy chowder - and honestly the flavor was little lacking - but it was not awful by any means just “good”. My party did really like the stuffed mushrooms - but I would say the thing that may have been the turn off was the lady that greeted us at the door and took our order. Seemed very unhappy and uninterested in helping. Maybe it had been a long day - maybe she had just had a rude customer I’m not sure but sometimes a smile and a kind word can help “sell a place”. It was ok - nothing to say another day / time might not be a better experience — and maybe sit-down service might have been better? We may try again next time when in the area.

1  Thank meamaam
Keith G, Owner at Diamond Shoals, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Thank you for giving a few of our menu staples a try. I'm disappointed our flavors and service left more to be desired, but with your feedback in mind, I'm certain that we can do far better next time. I appreciate that you'll be giving us a second chance -- I promise you won't be let down.

Looking forward to your next visit,

Reviewed 21 July 2018

The food is great! One in my parties tuna was overcooked which was the only thing wrong with the food. Service was slow but it was due to the lady in the bar area having three tables plus the bar to worry about. For a family of four, the total was just right above $100. Would come back for the fresh food but be prepared to pay for your meal and I mean pay.

Keith G, Owner at Diamond Shoals, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2018

Andrew, thank you for coming by. I'm glad you were happy with our fresh food, but I'm sorry service was slower than usual. We hope to welcome you and your family back soon for another meal.

Best,

Reviewed 20 July 2018

What a shame. We'd heard good things about this place, but the food was substandard, and although the staff was very nice, the actual owner (the husband, we didn't meet the wife) was so negative about the area that he made us want to NEVER return. Why put down your own area? Made no sense and all we came away with is if the owner of a restaurant is so negative about his own area, we as visitors don't want to recommend it to others. Good thing others in the area have respect for where they live and how it is cared for. That is why we will continue to recommend Buxton, but NOT Diamond Shoals.

Lisa, I am so sorry you got this impression. I never meant to be anything but supportive of our community, and I apologize that didn't come across. I appreciate your feedback, and I truly hope to welcome you back for a great meal.

Best,

Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

From beginning to the end, everything was delicious! Three of us had sushi (Surfer Girl, Lion) while my husband and son had the award winning clam chowder and 1 1/2 # crab legs. We finished off with coconut cream and key lime pies. The restaurant was hopping but service was still great. We would definitely come back next time in town!

I'm so glad your visit was a delight! You can count on my team to serve up some delicious food with a smile. Glad you enjoyed it all, and I hope to welcome you back next time you're in OBX!

Cheers,