All reviews rocking chairs oceanfront room building c the outer banks cape hatteras sound of the waves saw dolphins ocean side beach lovers a great place to stay top floor closer to the beach fell asleep national seashore bed was very comfortable first floor coffee pot
Reviewed 30 June 2016

This motel is on a beautiful spot of beach on Hatteras. The outside looks great.The inside is the issue. I expected an older room, maybe in need of a remodel after viewing the motel pictures. The room was dirty, rug always sandy and wet feeling, room smelled terribly musty, window blinds were broken, holes in the walls all over, bathroom faucet sprayed all over, shower rod was broken and just sat on top of the tile, curtain smelled strongly of urine after it got wet. Had we been able to secure other accommodations, we would have left. There is a lot of potential there, but management needs to take a look around.

Stayed: June 2016
2  Thank JoanGermantown
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2016

We are very sorry for this guest's experience. We consistently ask for feedback during a guest's stay or prior to departure so that we can address any issues. We are working toward updating and upgrading the rooms over time and it seems this one needs a bit more TLC than the others. It would have been helpful to us for this feedback to be given personally so that we could have a) made things right for the guest and b) made sure everything was addressed before we rented the room again. We do not feel this guest's experience is representative of the vast majority of our visitors and we would ask they give us another try. We do appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

Came to OBX with my daughter and her friend. Check in was easy but our room was not as described. The room had an odd odor. Someone had peed on the couch making it unusable. The love seat was broken and hard to sit in. We had no view of any sunset from inside the room. On the other hand there were plenty of nice towels. I won't return to this hotel. The price did not match the experience.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Petra H
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2016

While we appreciate and respond to every review, we really have to wonder if this is a review of our property. People do get confused as many motels here have similar names. However, assuming that it is -- we are perplexed as we have had no reports of damaged furniture of any kind from guests or housekeepers (and certainly not of urination on furniture), and we have no rooms where we promise a sunset view. Our rooms on the ocean front face east for sunrise views. That being said, we wish these guests would have communicated with us prior to departure in order to address their concerns. We continue to work toward providing every guest with a great experience.

Reviewed 13 June 2016 via mobile

This is the second year my sister her boyfriend and I and my daughter have stayed here. Again we had trouble with are reservations. Last year we were supposed to be on 1st floor rooms got damaged so we did get a nice room on second floor all worked out. This year we was supposed to have a room on second floor to find out we got put on third floor. My sister got there before I did this year. Did the check in. My sister and her boyfriend get to the room and it was terrible. My sister almost threw up because of the mildew smell. She was crying afraid the week was runied. They went back to the office to try and get a different room. They did give them a different room on the first floor. This is the second year in a row with changes in the room. It seems some rooms are very outdated and stink. I just don't think we can do a third year here just to risky to end up in a crappie room for a week.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2016

We are very sorry this guest had a bad experience. Rooms on the oceanfront can, and do, at times have a musty smell from the humidity - especially during and just after times of heavy rainfall. The AC and drier days usually help immensely. We continue to address this issue when raised as needed. The difficulty with reservations is perplexing. I would encourage this guest in the future to call the motel directly and be very specific about room requirements. All of our buildings have two floors but are numbered differently and that could have caused confusion from the first year to the second. We sincerely hope this guest will give us another chance. We appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 29 May 2016

This is not a luxury hotel, but it was just what I was looking for. It was reasonably priced, oceanfront, clean and quiet. The staff that checked me in were friendly and helpful. The room was clean. The refrigerator was not very pretty with some surface rust on the door, but it kept our food nice and cold. There were some previous comments about a musty smell and I will admit that sometimes when we first walked in we did notice a musty smell, but after a few minutes it was not noticeable. This is on the ocean, and we had rain that week so a little musty smell did not upset me. The crashing of the waves lured me to sleep each night. Each room has two rockers on a shared deck or porch. It was wonderful to sit out there and listen to the waves. However, the height of the top railing was eye level to me sitting in the rocker, so my view was obstructed. I don’t know any way that it could be avoided. At one point, I put my beach chair on the deck and sat there were I could see between the railings. We saw dolphins twice from the deck. There was one night when a couple decided to have an hour long argument on the deck. I’m not sure if they were beside us or below us, but they kept us awake until almost midnight arguing. The motel is the last one in the developed area, so you can walk past the motel and go as far as you want with no other hotels or condos. Just past the motel there is a place that you can look to the west and see the sun set over the Sound. You can also see the lighthouse from there. We would watch the sunset and then stay there until the lighthouse began flashing. That was one of the favorite parts of my stay. Unfortunately, the beach is not very walk friendly. The sand is deep. So whether you walk near the water or stay away from it, you sink pretty deep when you walk. It’s almost like walking in snow. I walked ½ mile down and then back and was exhausted. But there were more shells and bigger shells than we find in Florida. My only complaint would be the wi-fi. I don’t depend on internet access when on vacation, but there were times when I wanted to research places to go or eat. At times, I could connect from the bedroom, but most of the time the only place I could get a good signal was in the bathroom. Luckily, it is a huge bathroom, so I pulled a chair in there when I needed to connect. There is a pool and hot tub across the street, but we did not use them. I had a great time, and would stay there again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is definitely worth the extra charge.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DD42301
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2016

Thank you for the review. The wifi can be spotty - we appreciate the feedback. If you contact us with your room number we will check out the fridge. Salt air and humidity can get the best of our appliances. We hope to see you again - we'll keep improving.

Reviewed 23 May 2016

Where to start? From Arthur helping my husband and I at 4:30 in the morning, to the welcoming staff later that morning to finish our check in. You could not ask for a more welcome, friendly, accommodating staff. This hotel is clean, inviting, and comfortable; not to mention it is situated on the perfect spot -both oceanfront and sound side accommodations, close to many shops and eateries that are within walking distance.

There was a mix up with our reservations -NOT to any fault of the staff or owner, but due to the booking company they use. However; it was quickly remedied and we were placed in a room. The room was comfortable, clean, and just perfect for our family (we had a sound side suite). You could hear the waves and ocean from our room. Not a bad view here! There are rocking chairs outside of each room, which made relaxing just great. A clothesline is outside of each room as well which makes hanging your towels and suits handy. The beach was beautiful. There was a kitchen in our room, but due to the short nature of our stay (only stayed a weekend), we didn't use it. If we had wanted to, we could have -a fridge, sink, stove -complete with pots and pans. The shower was amazing and the towels were top quality -not the thin, "regular' hotel towels you usually get.
I cannot say enough fantastic things about this place/staff/our stay. We WILL return many times -you earned yourself a loyal customer!!!! Thank you Cape Hatteras Staff for our wonderful weekend!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank jennkruel
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2016

Thank you for your comments! We look forward to seeing you again soon!