“Great view”

Ranked #9 of 22 Restaurants in Buxton
Price range: US$7 - US$42
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Takeout
Description: We are a casual dining restaurant located on the Pamlico Sound in Buxton. We have been serving lunch and dinner on the Outer Banks for 20 years now, six in Hatteras until Hurricane Isabel took our building away, and then we blew up the road to Buxton for the last 14 years. At this time lunch is served daily 11:30-3 in season, and dinner is served nightly at 5pm. All of our soups and desserts are homemade, we serve an assortment of fresh seafood daily, as well as sandwiches, steaks, ribs, and pastas. We have live music on the deck Thursday & Friday nights this summer. Hope to see you there!!
Reviewed 13 October 2017

The waitress was great but the tuna tacos very dry. The clam strips were okay and the drinks were good.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

I would guess this is, at best, a hangout for locals. The shrimp in my scampi could have come out of the grocery freezer case, they were so rubbery and small. The garlic-lemon butter sauce tasted like none of the above. The ribs my husband ordered had lots of ribs and not a lot of meat, and they were just so-so. The restaurant was noisy and crowded. The service was slow, and the wait staff was not particularly friendly or welcoming. The restaurant in NOT HANDICAPPED ACCESSIBLE! There are several stairs up to the front entry, and once inside there is a steep flight of stairs to reach the dining room. Perhaps most off-putting for me was the women's restroom. They squeezed two stalls and a sink into a space more appropriate for a single restroom. The stalls were narrow and so shallow, they had curtains instead of doors. Anyone outside could look directly into the stall if the restroom door were open, which was rather disturbing since the restroom opened onto a short hall adjacent to the main lobby. The management addressed this issue by posting a small sign on the inside of the door suggesting one lock the door for additional privacy

Reviewed 9 October 2017

My wife and I had their french dip and it was great. We wanted prime rib, but the portions were to big for us, 18-20z.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

This restaurant is beautifully placed with sunsets on the sound. Wildlife (birds) abound within sight of the back deck where you can have a beer or cocktail from the bar (no food served on the deck). While you can't make reservations, during the week the restaurant has plenty of availability. And on a busy Friday night, the wait is not that long and they welcome you to have a beverage and enjoy the deck. You can enjoy the fresh catch or grab a burger or sandwich. If you're in the area, definitely spend an evening here.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

We were invited to eat at Sandbar and Grille with my mom while on vacation on Hatteras Island. It is a nice restaurant with an ample selection of seafood dishes. Generally, I do not like spending a lot of money to eat out. For the three of us with non-alcoholic beverages cost about $80.

The food and service was good. The waitress was patient as I asked a bunch of questions about the food. The view is amazing. You are right on the sound.

We went around 5:30 and it rained so we couldn't see the sunset. It wasn't busy at that time and we were seated right away. As our dinner progressed the restaurant got a lot busier. The restaurant is elevated. There are two handicapped entrances. One is to the right and takes in the front of the restaurant where the gameroom and restrooms are. Also there is a flight of stairs in the main entrance that takes you to the dining room. If you need handicapped access for the dining room, use the ramps to the left of the building.

The fried clam strips were amazing. They were some of the best I had in a long time. I ordered clams and linguine with white sauce, which was very flavorful. My husband ordered 1/2 pound of steamed shrimp, and my daughter order yellow fin tuna.

Overall, it was a good experience.