“Fly on over for a solid meal”
Review of The Cardinal

The Cardinal
Ranked #26 of 160 Restaurants in Boone
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

My 4 year old son and I had a great meal and personal service at the Cardinal for lunch. We both had burgers that were decent quality meat with fresh toppings. This is not a Mickey D's burger for those of you who think the price is high. The hush puppies were very good and the fries were flavorful and crisp. The atmosphere is warm with a little bit of an edge.

Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

While in town we asked quite a few of the locals we met where the best place to dine was around Boone that was both kid & adult friendly. We had more people recommend this place than anything else so we decided to give it a shot. When we arrived the place was PACKED but lucky enough we only waited 5 minutes for a table. The waitstaff was on top of their game. As soon as a table got up the waitress let us know we could have the table and within a minute she had it cleared and cleaned for us. We were dining with my 3 year old and scored a table right next to the pinball & skiball machines. They also had other various toys & wooden blocks with was a godsend. If you know anything about dining with kids, you know it can be seriously stressful. I was able to enjoy a delicious dinner with my husband & mother while my son was totally entertained. Oh! Another super impressive thing was that even with a packed restaurant our food order was placed and put on the table within like 20 minutes. I recommend this to anyone dining with family or even as a nice spot for a date night. We were impressed.

1  Thank themamacakes
Reviewed 18 August 2018

We have been to The Cardinal since it opened and have never had many complaints. In fact, we have always been pleased with the food and service. However, today we were highly disappointed at the service. First, it took a good fifteen minutes to even place our order after the waiter had been ignoring us from the time we asked for an appetizer. In fact, we had to flag him down to finally order. He informed us that several items we ordered would be extra; however, after he recommended the potato salad, he did not let us know that it would also be extra. Additionally, we had about four different waiters throughout our meal, (none of them were in communication with the others). When our meal was brought to our table, the chicken was burnt. Finally, the bill was outrageous...nearly $50 for three people! $17 bucks for just a chicken breast and a side salad with greens and two little bitty tommy toes?! As Pap said on our way out, "Ain't never coming back."

1  Thank maamorama
Seth S, Owner at The Cardinal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

maamorama,

I am sorry that your experience at the Cardinal didn't live up to your expectations. I am glad that you have generally enjoyed you experiences at the Cardinal and hope that you can understand that sometimes folks make mistakes and that everyone can have an off day every once in a while. You shouldn't have had to wait that long before ordering and for that I sincerely apologize. I wish that you had asked to speak to a manager while you were in the restaurant so that we could have gotten you a chicken breast that was cooked to your liking. Food that is burned shouldn't make it to a table, again that is our fault and I apologize. Again, folks make mistakes, it doesn't happen too often at the Cardinal, but when it does we are always more than happy to correct them. Your side salad should have had cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and dressing on a bed of local greens.

As for the complaints about prices and charging for special sides and add ons for burgers, I believe our prices are very fair for the food that we serve. Our food is all hand made and fresh. Some items are sourced locally and we pride ourselves on using top quality food to create delicious dishes. The chicken breast you ordered was humanely raised and steroid free. The salad greens are from local farms and this time of year it is likely that the tomatoes on your salad are also local. None of our meat is frozen and almost all of the sides are prepared in house on a daily basis. All of our speciality burgers and sandwiches include fries or chips at no extra charge. For a small up charge guests can substitute one of our other sides:sweet potatoes, hushpuppies, salads, etc. Special sides like potato salad would also fall into this category. The only sandwich that doesn't include a complimentary side of fries or chips is our Cardinal burger, this is designed so that we can keep the burger cheap (single Cardinal burgers are $5).

I would like to apologize again for your negative experience. I do wish that you had asked to speak to a manager about the chicken or if you were dissatisfied with your service or meal. I also apologize that you and Pap found your bill outrageous and that you will give us another chance to serve you.

If you would like to chat further please feel free to email us at the email found on our website.

Thank you for your input.

Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

The cardinal is the best. Great food, amazing cocktails and beer selection, super friendly staff. Love the cardinal. It’s the only place I order a burger from anymore!

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Asked the bartenders at a brewery who had the best burger in No one, they both said the Cardinal at the same time! Met friends here for dinner and ride several delicious beers as a group. Everyone loved their burger, and service was strong. Fun night in Boone!