“Mountain Restaurant Tucked into the Woods”

Gamekeeper Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gamekeeper Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 160 Restaurants in Boone
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 100 yards up Shulls Mill Rd from the entrance to Yonahlossee
Reviewed 2 October 2018

I have always wanted to stop at this treasure. I'm so glad I did.

Outstanding food, service, and atmosphere. I started off with the new potato soup with smoked bacon & basil. I next sampled a Mixed Game Grill Appetizer featuring Chef Ken's choice of game meats & sausage with dipping sauces. Suffice it to say I look forward to returning soon.

If you are in the area, The Gamekeeper is located outside of Blowing Rock off the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is truly a treat you will remember.

2  Thank NCMountaingal

Reviewed 1 October 2018

The ambiance and courteous staff are just the start to this amazing food journey. We sampled things we don't often have the luxury of trying, including duck rillette, emu and bison short rib. And all in the middle of a mountain escape. It was truly an experience for all senses.

Reviewed 29 September 2018

When friends visit - this is always our 1st stop! The cocktails are concocted to perfection, as are the entrees! They have a great vegetarian plate, which we order every time due to its local fresh selections, the escargot are truly the best EVER. The service - we will wait if needed to be seated with Kappa - she's a doll, and has always made us feel welcome like old friends.

1  Thank Jane G
Reviewed 28 September 2018

We went there to celebrate a special birthday. We were not disappointed. Good, creative food and great service.

Reviewed 23 September 2018

We really like coming here on very winding, narrow Shull's Mill Road and it's nice to pull up the steep hill and see the parking valets warmly greeting guests.

The servers are exceptionally nice. I had the best fruit cobbler here some years ago and we really enjoyed eating outside on the terrace.

This year, it was a bit rainy and we ate indoors. I liked my food enough that I would return but my husband was disappointed with his meal. I must agree with some previous reviewers who complained about the trout. It was coated in massive amounts of herb bread combs- not buttery, not brown or crisp but whiteish in color. I recommend a research trip to Carrboro to check out the trout preparation at Oakleaf restaurant- buttery yet unbreaded with toasted hazelnuts.

Casual, warm atmosphere. My earlier recollections were of a more sophisticated dining experience.