“Great Southern food”

Ranked #13 of 157 Restaurants in Boone
Price range: US$6 - US$24
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Proper is a Southern bistro-style restaurant located in downtown Boone NC. We offer carefully prepared fresh food in a comfortable and relaxed setting. Most everything we serve is made from scratch, in-house, and what we do not make ourselves is all natural and preservative free. All of our desserts are made in-house as well. Our best sellers are fried chicken, collard greens, and mac 'n' cheese, and chocolate pecan pie, but we have much more to offer. Come see us and find out for yourself.
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

As a friend described Proper, it's a "hippy" restaurant serving Southern food. Great food!! Loved the meatloaf and fried green tomatoes covered with pimento cheese. Can I say YUM!!

Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

We try to eat here every time we visit Boone. Unique selection of Southern food and always prepared well. Servers are very knowledgeable and polite. Only issue is parking- but Boone is known for its parking problems. Don't park across the street in the gravel lot-you will get towed.

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Nice outdoor seating. Food was first rate! I had with salad and Mac n cheese as sides. Very good. Server was awesome! Everything is fresh and made from scratch. Don't miss it.

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

We wanted to go to a local non-chain place for this dinner. First, parking is difficult to find close to the restaurant, but there are public lots nearby and it was a nice evening for a walk. The restaurant was fairly busy, but not overly crowded.

We decided on fried green tomatoes for an app. They were very good, served with pimento cheese and a honey drizzle. My husband and I both decided to go with the specials of the day.

I had the catfish over grits with salsa, collards and crispy okra with a creole spiced seasoning. The okra was the clear winner on this. I couldn't finish anything. The collards had a sweet taste that I was not expecting. I was not a fan, but everything else was wonderful.

Hubby had the pork chop special with sides of Mac n cheese and succotash. He cleaned his plate and loved everything.

There were families there with younger children, but I wouldn't classify it as family friendly. We really enjoyed our meal and would return.

Reviewed 16 August 2016

Well done, well served. Perfect blend of spices. Collards could have stood one more rinse.Resaurant is difficult to find; even on foot. The signage is a grave stone motiff. The food and service was the best we experienced in the area in the last 10 days. A wonderful find.