“Whole family had a blast”

Foggy Mountain Gem Mine
Ranked #1 of 44 things to do in Boone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Augusta GA
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Whole family had a blast”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We have done gem mines in the past. These guys are great. The whole staff jumped in and helped. My son (9 years old) got a bucket with a nice emerald in it. Will be fun to see if it is worth anything after being cut. Would go back again next time in town.

1 Thank johnucfsae

Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The kids thought it would be lame.....but had a GREAT TIME!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We went with 3 young teen boys. They were bored, it was raining, and I was going stir crazy. They were surprised at how much fun it was and how many cool gems we found. We are having some cut and sent back. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. I was only sorry we did not get a bigger bucket!

4 Thank Melanie B
Missouri
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Mining for Gems”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I googled attractions for Boone, North Carolina, and the most popular one was Foggy Mountain Gem Mine. I had wanted a new ring with the Christmas gift card my reps gave me. I decided to go "mine" for my gem. I went in and spent about 2 hours there. I got the smallest bucket ($17). They even gave me a 10% for being the first time I was there. When I got done mining, one of the ladies that worked there went through all my gems and told me what they were. I ended up an aquamarine stone that they will cut and mount into picking a pear-shaped ring.. I will get it in about 3-3 1/2 weeks.

I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed seeing what I had and how much different they look before they are cut. I didn't think $17 for two hours of entertainment was bad at all. The ring was reasonably priced too.

4 Thank Kathy M
Monroe, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Reasonably priced for finding large gems”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

The buckets of ore were reasonably priced. The employees were very friendly and helpful. They have indoor and outdoor areas for gem mining, so although it was 28 degrees outside we were still able to "mine". Price for our bucket included one cabochon cut, and the prices for other stone cutting were quite reasonable. After we went through our bucket, the staff looked through our "cast offs" and brought us a large sapphire we missed. We found about 20 different mineral/gem specimens and came away with the gems, the identification chart, and they will mail our cut gems to us. Overall a very nice experience. Will go back!

Visited January 2012
3 Thank Cathy N
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Best!”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I loved visiting Foggy Mountain Gems. Not only was it fun, the staff was extremely helpful both during the rock "hunting" and afterward when they showed us what we had..
I chose several gems to be cut and set; and I must say, they did a super-fantastic job! The cut stones were large and beautifully faceted!
I wish I lived there so that I could visit much more often!

Visited August 2011