The Green Park Inn
Meadowbrook Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$132
Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$135
US$157
Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$230
Blowing Rock Inn and Villas(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$123
Boxwood Lodge(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$112
Homestead Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$134
Alpine Village Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$113
Hemlock Inn(Blowing Rock)(Great Value!)
US$100
All reviewshistoric hotelchestnut grilleleanor rooseveltmurder mysterymade to order breakfastpiano player in the lobbyjimmy stewartstep back in timebreakfast was includednew ownersroad constructiongrand pianothe general managermodern amenitiesfront porchfrench toasthot breakfast
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Upon entering the front door of the hotel which was built in 1892 we were welcomed by the staff of the Green Park Inn. The restoration of this hotel is amazing and we enjoyed our stay very much. The room was large, we stayed in room 141 which had a balcony that overlooked the grounds. The room was very clean and large. It was just a lovely, relaxing stay and the staff here in my opinion was first class.

The room had complementary bottled water, coffee and flat screen TV. Bed was very comfortable. We did go to the onsite bar and ate our food was delicious. Your room comes with a complimentary made to order breakfast.

The lobby was gorgeous with grand piano and library shelves around a beautiful fireplace.

We just loved our stay and cant wait to go back soon.

Loved loved the Green Park Inn.

Room Tip: Room 141 was awesome
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank luvitLakeNormanNC
GPIOwners, General Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back, soon! It's funny that, sometimes, reading these reviews we feel as though we're living in a Tale of Two Cities! It was the best of times . . . it was the worst of times! Are there really two different hotels, here? . . .staffed by two entirely different sets of people! Ha! Again, we really appreciate your post, and hope to see you back again, soon!

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Green Park Inn is a lovely property but the management of this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. My recent stay was a terrible experience and one that I would not wish for anyone. I traveled to Blowing Rock for business and was unfortunately "snowed in" at Green Park. Winds were gusting at 5omph with blowing snow and ice covered road ways. One would think if you were stranded in a hotel accustomed to these type of conditions, the staff would be especially considerate of your dilemma. Not so with the Green Park Inn! I was one of very few guests in the hotel at this unfortunate time. No one called to check on my well being and the housekeeper was unable to travel to the inn to provide the necessary services. The front desk clerk made it very clear (with an annoyed expression) that she "freshened" my room in absence of the housekeeper. The bed was made and fresh towels delivered but no vacuuming or trash removal. The room was very drafty and cool with the in room heater set at 85 degrees. Throughtout the day and evening, doors slammed and loud walking could be heard throughout the hallways and room. I did call and was told maintenance was removing the rocking chairs from the balconies and had to have the doors slam...unbelievable! Unfortunately, I did leave a scarf in the room upon my departure. I emailed Green Park and asked if they would kindly mail the scarf to my home address. The response email included a lengthy explanation regarding their policy and experience with paying for shipment of left items with no regard to my personal need or customer service. The "general manager" finally did agree to pay for shipment of my six ounce scarf! I will say the front desk staff were professional. I do believe with their current management Green Park leaves a lot to be desired! Hope they can stay in business but they have lost mine!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
10  Thank SYTaylor_09
GPIOwners, Owner at The Green Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

As we understand it this reviewer, having driven through a snow storm, and fifty mph winds, was then relieved to arrive at the Green Park Inn and was checked in to a clean and comfortable room as the storm raged outside. We disagree with the reviewer’s position that "someone should have called to check on her well being." We will never invade a guest's privacy, in their room, with a gratuitous call to ask if they are still OK. While there was a snow storm occurring outside, these were not dangerous, or life threatening conditions and all was perfectly well inside of the hotel. The hotel did not lose power, or electricity, or heat or even cable television service. We are located in “the High Country”, the mountains of North Carolina, and winter storms are not uncommon. In fact, we are located less than 5 miles from Appalachian Ski Mountain. Yes, winter is to be expected in the High Country, in fact, we welcome winter snow!

Turning the electronic room thermostat up to 85 degrees from 70 degrees (standard opening temperature) on the brand new, "green" (and we are very proud to say chosen because they are made in the USA) PTAC unit in the room in the mistaken belief that it would get warmer, faster, simply tripped the unit’s thermal breaker. Had this reviewer called the front desk, they would have been advised of the overload created by such actions, and sent someone to reset the unit. We suspect that the reviewer also did not avail themselves of the additional heater in bathroom which would have provided additional circulating heat. Again, had the reviewer reported these circumstances to the Front Desk then any number of remedies would have been undertaken. So, it was under these circumstances that the reviewer found the room "cold and drafty."

It is true that the following day the early shift (morning) housekeeper had difficulty driving “up the mountain”. In her absence the Front Desk clerk on duty (who is cross trained in housekeeping – and the same staff later referred to in the review as “professional”) freshened guest rooms on that day. We are quite sure that she did so happily, and with a smile. We apologize that she may have missed emptying a trash cam. On the other hand, we do not routinely fully vacuum rooms while freshening when the room has been occupied for only one night. We generally find this to be necessary only when children have been staying in the room, and not a single individual person, for only one night. However, had vacuuming been warranted it certainly would have been performed. During this reviewers stay we were also happy to have brought breakfast to a certain guest’s room, each morning, as the guest had requested, even though we do not ordinarily do so. Our complementary, made to order breakfast is generally served in our sunny and lovely “Tea Room” each morning.

A phone call was received early in the afternoon at the Front Desk, during the worst of the wind gusts, regarding banging doors. The caller was advised that Maintenance staff were removing the rocking chairs from the balconies due to the high winds, and that these winds were causing some room doors to slam shut. We apologized for any disturbance, whereupon maintenance was then instructed to close all room doors where they were working before opening the balcony door in that room, thereby eliminating the “draft” that had resulted in a few doors having slammed shut. At no time was anyone told that “maintenance had to have the doors slam”. Excuse us, but, . . . what? Also, no maintenance personnel were present during the evening hours, no work was being done, and no doors were slamming, nor loud noises being made anywhere in the building “throughout the evening” as described. Frankly, this was simply not possible. We are not quite sure what “loud walking” is? So, are hardly prepared to respond to this claim. Loud walking? Again, sorry, but . . . what? . . . exactly? . . .is? . . . loud walking?

Regarding the reviewer’s having left a scarf in the room we have engaged a bonded, professional shipping service to handle the return of items left in rooms, and it is our policy to turn over items requiring shipping to this company. Our policy is not concerned with the weight of items left. Our concerns are with the potential value of items (either dollar value or sentimental value), insurability, packaging, and speed of return desired by the guest. We feel that these personal matters are best left to professional shippers who can work with the guest to determine exactly how the item should be shipped. One might be surprised to hear of the variety items left behind at the hotel, which have included brief cases, jewelry, hearing aids, favorite teddy bears, and even dog crates. We feel that our policy is entirely reasonable, and also a pretty darned good idea.

Finally, we are quite pleased with the efforts of our General Manager who is our General Manager, not our “General Manager” and who, in fact, is the individual who approved breakfast to be served in a guest room (rather than the Tea Room), who ensured that maintenance stopped the wind slamming of doors once this circumstance was reported, who ensured that rooms were freshened (an industry term) even though a staff housekeeper was unable to arrive at work that morning, and finally, who waived any charge for shipping a scarf back to the reviewer. We stand by our hotel, our staff, and our General Manager.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

It was a couple of days get away to the mountains and this hotel made it really good to rest after a busy day, quiet and very comfortable rooms, overall a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ElBalto
Reviewed 1 January 2012

To whom it may or may not concern,

I am contacting you to express my disappointment in the service and atmosphere provided by your hotel and staff last night.

My wife and I have stayed at the Green Park Inn several times over the years and were looking forward to celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary in your remodeled hotel. I booked our stay and dinner weeks ago with a young lady who described a hip and elegant NYE dinner and celebration.

We arrived yesterday just after 4pm and were shocked by the way the front desk received us. I rang the bell after a short wait and was greeted by a gentlemen who informed us in an unwelcomed tone that check in was not until 5. He then made a radio call to confirm our “early check in” before taking my visa and sending us on our way. The exchange was not intentionally rude, but definitely gave my wife and I the feeling that we were imposing and should have known better.

The next event that I take issue with happened at the Divide. My wife and I stopped in after taking a late lunch at Canyons for some wine and cocktails. The male barkeep was a pleasure, but the blond woman was incredibly condescending to my wife’s inquiry of available chardonnay. She also made it evident that I was being difficult in my ordering of my second old fashion when I stated that the first one was a little off and I had expected the drink to be sweeter. We had an exchange when I ordered the first drink over weather I wanted regular or orange bitters, and the second one was more hostile when she asked me how I wanted her to make the drink sweeter. I told her that I do not know what the problem was and that all I usually do is order an old fashion and the bartender does the rest. She dropped of the second drink and never bothered to ask how it was. I took this as her way of telling me to go to hell, especially when the gentleman took us over afterwards.

The end of our evening at the Green Park came early. We expected dinner at 9pm, but were not seated until after 9:30. We immediately ordered a cocktail and a bottle of champagne. By nearly 10pm we had been served bread and then soup, but still no drinks. Our mood was foul, the music was far from hip and the crowd was probably twice our age on average. I decided to salvage the evening, and our anniversary, by retreating to Crippen’s. I consider Jimmy to be a good friend and was happy to be welcomed by him and his staff on NYE with no reservations. The food was amazing and the service was excellent. I am very grateful to him for providing us with a wonderful evening despite the Green Park’s best efforts to insult, offend, and neglect us.

My wife and I will be leaving later this morning instead of staying a second night. We will also be skipping our 9:30 breakfast reservation. I fully expect to be billed for our ill-gotten drinks at the divide, our dinner that we did not attend, the night we did not stay, and the breakfast we did not eat, but I certainly will not pay for the champagne and drinks we did not receive. I also expect your response and any check out correspondence to be handled by email as I will be posting it to my Facebook and Twitter accounts.

-Brad

• Stayed: December 2011
11  Thank wera310
GPIOwners, General Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

Curious? We recently received an email containing the exact same language as is contained in this review. The exact same language. On that occasion, receipt of the email was followed closely by a Visa notification of a dispute of charges by the author of that email, who had been a recent guest. Visa found the dispute to be without merit, and spurious, and the claim was denied. However, Visa permits businesses to submit full and complete documentation to refute spurious claims, which is generally not the case with review forums, and quite a shame that such is not permitted, really.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

As usual I'll begin by saying my brother and I have driven over 30,000 miles in 47 states during the last three falls. In those six months on the road, we stayed at inns, hotels and motels that ranged from under $100 per night to about $400, so we've seen quite a variety of places. The Green Park Inn was not on our radar, but it sure caught our eye as we were passing through Blowing Rock, which itself was a big surprise with upscale shops and wonderful mountainside homes.

The Inn has a little museum of sorts with an interesting history of the area. The staff was great, including the very personable young woman who served us breakfast. Based on accounts of the Inn before its renovation, I must say they did a great job. The room was everything we could have asked for. The hallways have long interior windows, many (most?) of the rooms have balconies and sturdy rocking chairs. We enjoyed just sitting out there (2nd or 3rd floor) overlooking a golf course, mountains, and the pool (the pool was closed for maintenance) on a sunny autumn day. Towards dusk a deer and her fawn and then more deer wandered out on the golf course.

I should add that we read and heard about some old ghost stories at this National Registry of Historic Landmarks site. When we asked about this at the desk, the clerk said, "The only thing I'm allowed to say is that we respect the privacy of all of guests, whether or not they've ever checked out."

I think that tells you all you need to know to make your decision.

Room Tip: If you can, in good weather choose a room with a balcony, ideally overlooking the golf course to see the deer at dusk.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family