All reviews bob timberlake bedroom condo paddle boats overlooking the lake indoor pool ping pong beautiful grounds breakfast buffet rec center fly fishing lodge rooms moses cone tanger outlets get away christmas lights hiking trails wood burning fireplace
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I had heard great things about Chetola from friends, so we decided to book a room for our anniversary. I found a lower rate on Hotels.com for a king room with a balcony, so I called Chetola to see if they would honor the rate. I was told that they could not, but that I should go ahead and book through Hotels.com. Apparently, that was a big mistake.

I booked, and called Chetola the next morning to confirm our reservations. I was reassured that we were 'all set in a Signature King with a balcony.'

When we arrived, we were given a ground floor room with no balcony, and an ADA accessible bathroom. This is probably the worst room in the entire hotel, and from what I could see, the only one without a balcony. My husband went back to the front desk and asked to be moved to the room that we reserved. He was told that we were in the room that Hotels.com booked for us, and that the mistake was on their end. The front desk agent explained that the room my husband was describing was a 'Signature King,' and that Hotels.com booked a 'Standard King.' He then offered to send down a bottle of champagne to make up for the 'misunderstanding.'

I honestly could not believe it. Not only did I have an e-mail confirmation of the room-type, I'd also confirmed with the Chetola after booking.

So, I called Hotels.com, and they sent me another confirmation e-mail for a king room with a balcony. They then called Chetola for us to try to fix the situation. This time, Chetola changed their story, and claimed that our room did have a balcony; it was just a 'juliet balcony.' Honestly, this was insulting, especially considering that Chetola differentiates between a king room with a balcony and a standard king room on their own website. The pictured standard king is the room that we were in. The 'king rooms with balconies' have... wait for it... actual balconies.

At this point, we'd spent over an hour trying to sort out the room disaster, and were almost late for our dinner reservation. After dinner, we returned to the resort, and asked to speak with a manager. I showed the manager my confirmation e-mail, and explained how disappointed we were. I also pointed out that the various 'explanations' we'd been given just didn't seem to hold water.

In the end, the manager did slightly discount the room, but only after we refused to accept being mistreated multiple times. While I understand that they were at capacity, I can't help but think that we were treated like second class citizens because we booked through a third party. I absolutely believe that they gave away our room and downgraded us. If this isn't a classic case of 'bait and switch,' I don't know what is.

Fair warning: if you want to chance it with this 'resort,' book directly, and stay away from room 114.

Room Tip: Avoid room 114
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kimmi4
ChetolaResort, Manager at Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We appreciate you leaving this feedback for us. We apologize for not catching prior to your arrival that Hotels.com had incorrectly listed the room type you booked. This led to unnecessary confusion among you, our Guest Services staff, and the booking agent, and we are sorry that it negatively impacted your experience. Since your visit with us, the listing with Hotels.com (and other OTAs) has been corrected and our staff has been made aware of the unfortunate situation that occurred with you. Your various issues are inspiring conversations among our upper management, so thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Again, we apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations, but we hope that you will give us another chance and consider a return visit in the future for us to create a positive memorable stay for you.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Great place to escape from a busy week. Quiet, good food, superb service. Relax in spa area. Pool is large and clean. Walk the trails! Blowing Rock has great quaint shops.
Loved just walking the town and enjoying the cool weather.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
ChetolaResort, Manager at Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Marcia, thank you for sharing your experience with us and for leaving such a fabulous review and recommendations! We are so happy you chose to stay with us and enjoyed a relaxing weekend. We hope you will return and stay with us again!

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Fishing was awesome! Cannot say enough about our great day on South Holston with the best Orvis guide, Dustin Coffey. We caught more fish than we could count and learned so much. Can’t wait to do it again.

Stayed: September 2018
ChetolaResort, Manager at Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Thank you for sharing your fly fishing experience with us! We are so happy that Dustin helped create a fantastic day on the river for you. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 23 September 2018

Took my wife there for two nights. Very nice hotel. Worth the extra to get lake front. I took my fishing rod -- word of advice -- looking at the lake from the hotel -- walk to the left, will take you to the dam, picked up a few bass there -- white spinner bait.

Room Tip: get a lake front room
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Steve, thank you for the excellent review and for taking the time to share your experience with us! Future guests will appreciate the bait tip to reel in some bass as well. We hope you and your wife - and your fishing rod - come stay with us again!

Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

We were very happy to learn that the tree blocking our lake view from Room 106 has been cut down. My husband is in a wheelchair and we had booked the weekend for the Symphony By the Lake for a lake view room, and unfortunately could not see any of the lake. We expressed our dismay to the staff and they said they would pass along our comment that they shouldn't claim it is a lake view room if it is only a lake side room. We were delighted to hear the owners have finally decided to have it taken down. Many thanks!
Food was delicious.
The Sporting Clays Club is excellent and got fantastic instruction from one of the staff there, I think Brad. It is a little out of the way but we enjoyed the ride.
I am not giving it 5 stars because of the non lake-view room at our visit.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
ChetolaResort, Manager at Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

We appreciate you following up and sharing your experience with us. Our management takes guests' comments and concerns very seriously, and if there is a way we can improve a situation, we certainly will. The nature lover in us grappled with removing a tree, but after weighing the pros and cons, we felt it needed to come down in order to improve the experience for all guests staying in that room. We are happy you enjoyed dining in Timberlake's Restaurant as well as your sporting clay instruction with Brett. We hope you will return to visit us again.