“Such a Great Place!”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Mount Gilead, North Carolina
“Such a Great Place!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stopped here on our way from Black Mountain to Chimney Rock. I had a certificate from restaurant.com and they were on the list. It doesn't look like much from the road but what a fun fun place and super nice people! It isn't too big inside but there is a room where the musicians are and then a small seperate room with a bar and a few tables. We sat in the bar room and were able to enjoy the music and still have conversation. The menu is really good and they will actually cook a burger rare!! YES!! The owner is so down to earh and the rest of the staff is awesome too. Jackie and Tanner were our servers and they were always smiling and attentive. We really enjoyed winding down after our very full day there! Beware......they give you A LOT of food. I think we all took some back to the hotel with us! Don't miss it if you are in the area!

• Visited February 2012

San Antonio, Florida
“Local Color”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

An out-of-the-way dining experience. Fun place with great atmosphere. Fairly inexpensive food, well prepared, and efficient service. The main attraction is the location.

• Visited June 2011
Faith, North Carolina
“I Love this place!!”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Thank the Lord for Google!! I was trying to find an interesting place for us to eat at while we were vacationing in Chimney Rock. My husband is a musician and so I was very happy to find a restaurant with live, local talent. It was great!! I had an amazing chicken alfredo and my husband had the burger. He said it was the best burger he had ever eaten. It would be worth the 2.5 hour drive to eat there if need be.. Shoot, it's so good, its worth moving to Black Mountain for. Too bad we can't :(

• Visited November 2011
“Special Place”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Solid food, friendly people, GREAT value...sating in the area this is a great stop...music in summers on most weekend nights. Casual, mountain friendly.

Black Mountain, North Carolina
“Incredible place to eat, drink, enjoy live music or just hang out.”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My wife and I have been going to the Straightaway regularly since it opened in April '09. It is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable venues we've ever visited (and we've been to more than just a few in the past 50-ish years in the 49 states and the 10+ countries on 3 continents that we've visited).

First of all, the Straightaway is in a delightful rural setting back from the road in the western North Carolina (WNC) hills. There is seating inside, on the porch and at picnic tables on the grass. A roof with ceiling fans that was installed above the porch in the last month or so has rendered the outside seating even more enjoyable in hot weather and customers are no longer forced inside when it rains. The roof also provides a camp-like feel to an establishment already renown for its comfy, casual atmosphere.

There is an extensive menu of fairly-priced appetizers, burgers, sandwiches and entrees. There are frequent specials, too; past examples include mulligatawny soup, avocado and jalapeno soup and beef stroganoff - all outstanding. Neither we nor any of the hundreds of customers we've overheard at the Straightaway Cafe over the last 2+ years has found any menu item less than excellent. My personal favorite is the chicken melt sandwich served in a wrap with optional mushrooms and jalapenos; it's to die for. The Straightaway's owner, Ray - who is almost always in the kitchen - will customize any menu item or attempt to make anything else not on the menu if a customer asks and he has the ingredients.

The Straightaway also has a broad selection of wines as well as several draft and bottled beers, with an emphasis on local Asheville breweries. The choice of beverages nicely complements any meal or the live music provided by outstanding local WNC musicians on the outside stage on Friday and Saturday (and, frequently, Thursday) evenings and, on occasion, Sunday afternoons.

Lastly, service is very friendly and competent.

I could go on an on, but describing this establishment in the written word has made me hungry. I'm off to the Straightaway for lunch.

• Visited August 2011