“Steeped in history and character” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Temple House

Temple House
Kanturk, Ireland
“Steeped in history and character”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2016

I know Roderick and his gracious wife Helena and had been meaning to visit - I had to make the time as they are one of the leading Hidden Ireland houses. Plus, and perhaps more importantly, they are fun. As an American with historic ties to the Perceval's this place will put a lump in your throat as you drive up to the house. The infrastructure and work they have done to keep this important part of history alive is exemplary. My house is built on a limestone slab and Temple House has so many gorgeous (and giant) family portraits, my house would sink. Also, they have been pressed for years and years to do weddings, apparently. You should see the new ballroom - good Lord!

Room Tip: You can play badminton in their room The Half Acre....2 on 2....just be quiet
  • Stayed June 2016, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank gordon sharp-bo... s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

Read about Temple house manor in a guide book which described it as the best place to stay in Ireland and decided to give it a try. Truly a wise decision! No other place we stayed quite measured up!
Temple House is lovingly cared for by the family that owns it and it shows. You feel like you are stepping back into a genteel manor house in the last century. Rooms are spacious and decorated with antiques. Wonderful ruined castle on the grounds to explore and even rows boats to take out if you wish. They offer a lovely dinner in the evening served at a large dining table that encourages conversation with other guests. Dinner is extra and a bit pricey at 45 euros each but worth it for at least one evening. Definitely worth a visit!

Stayed June 2016, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cathy F
templar1864, Owner at Temple House, responded to this review, 20 June 2016
Cathy
Thanks for your kind words.
"Temple House is lovingly cared for by the family that owns it and it shows."
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2016 via mobile

We flew into Knock to stay at Temple House as we would like to have our wedding reception there. There is a good reason why this beautiful establishment won the country house of the year award this year. It's well deserved from the welcome we received from the owner and host Roderick to the amazing bedrooms and the grounds. I like to run and got up early to explore the area. I was not disappointed. The land, lake and the ruins belonging to the anscestors are a sight to behold. I normally run in London with the music turned up to drown out the noise, but here, I turned off the music after the first song as I realised I wanted to enjoy the peace in the natural and beautiful environment. I came back and had a shower which for a beautiful old home the plumbing works a treat. For Breakfast I had homemade granola with temple house farm's rhubarb. Even though I was full I was persuaded to try the brown bread and a cooked breakfast. The owner Roderick is very hands on and spent time with us to offer advice on all the resources available in the area to ensure our wedding day will be amazing. I love the fact our reception will be more like a country house party in this amazing and beautiful house. I can't wait for next year!

Stayed June 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonGeraldine
templar1864, Owner at Temple House, responded to this review, 12 June 2016
Geraldine and Andy
" the peace in the natural and beautiful environment"
It was great to meet you and we look fwd to your next visit!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2016

Mystical location.Pastures of sheep, lovely lake, ancient ruins, beautiful woods, huge historical home with period furniture, central heating, updated bathroom, wonderful host and lovely meal. WISH WE HAD STAYED LONGER!

Stayed May 2016, travelled as a couple
templar1864, Owner at Temple House, responded to this review, 8 June 2016
We look forward to your next trip. May there be many more highlights throughout Ireland. Thank you.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2016

Well - this place is a MUST if you are planning to visit Ballymote in County Sligo.

Temple House is enormous !!! Roderick Purceval was so handsome and kind and he genuinely makes you feel right at home immediately upon arrival. It's his family home since the 1600's and there are large paintings of his ancestors hanging all over the home. The history alone makes this place more like a museum than a place to stay - but a warm and comfortable museum for sure.

The sitting room with the fire was perfect for us that evening ... and we had some wine at the honor bar and off to bed!

We were the only people staying this particular night so we were able to spend a little more time with Roderick and get to know the history first hand. He was kind enough to allow me to choose any room I (we) wanted, but the one he chose for us was perfect! I loved getting to see all the rooms, as usually you don't have that opportunity. Everything was spotless. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was huge and had great towels.

I really loved it here! Our room was spectacular with beautiful windows and views of the grounds' own castle ruins. I particularly adored the antique dressing table.

In the morning, we explored the old castle ruins and the boat house, grabbing a pair of wellies and off we went. Dave took a row boat out. I was having no part of that. It started to drizzle a little bit and it was quite chilly. He ended up stuck in the middle of the lake, but eventually rowed himself back to the boathouse just in time to go in and eat a great breakfast that Roderick prepared for us.

The hospitality is second to none. It's very obvious that he cares about his home, his heritage and making people welcome. I am telling you - don't miss this place! You won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Get the room with the beautiful view of the castle ruins.
  • Stayed April 2016, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank leberhart
templar1864, Owner at Temple House, responded to this review, 13 May 2016
"hospitality at its finest"

Thank you very much Lisa.
Come for dinner next time. Mon-Sat.
The castle ruin vie would be one of our 'Lakeview rooms'.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Templehouse Demesne
37.5 km away
Mount Falcon Estate
Mount Falcon Estate
#1 of 9 in Ballina

Been to Temple House? Share your experiences!