“The Wishing Well delivers even in midwinter”
Review of The Wishing Well

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Worth Road
Reviewed 22 January 2018

My companion and I had a delightful dinner at the Wishing Well in mid-January. It was a busy Saturday evening in the area when a number of restaurants in the heart of Saratoga Springs were packed with diners, many from the convention/trade show that weekend. So we ventured a bit north on Route 9 to The Wishing Well, where we both had been in the past, and enjoyed, but not for many, many years. The restaurant was predictably busy on this chilly winter evening, so while we didn't have a reservation, we were assured a table would be available and enjoyed a cocktail at the bar comfortably while waiting for about 10-15 minutes. Not an unreasonable wait and it was made well worth it when we were escorted to a quiet table in one of the two dining rooms. The varied menu includes the usual traditional steak, fresh seafood and vegetarian entrees and specials one might expect from such a long-established and popular fine dining option. My started with ordered the Caesar salad, which he enjoyed, while I ordered the crab cake appetizer, which was large, packed with fresh, tasty crab and cooked to perfection - light and fluffly - and served with a lemonyaioli and lightly dressed field greens - I honestly could have made two of the sumptuous cakes a meal. (Indeed, another diner at the bar had done just that, so I made a mental note to consider that option for my next visit.) My companion opted for the chicken cordon bleu, which also was a hefty breast, well stuffed with cheese and ham, and beautifully finished and topped with a light sauce, while I ordered the prime rib, cooked medium, and served with a side of horseradish sauce. Both entrees were exceptionally well prepared and served with a melange of fresh winter vegetables. (Neither of us could finish, but we happily went home with the remainder of a delectable meal that was savored again the next evening.) My companion went with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert while I sipped a lovely amaretto. The service was cordial, attentive and unhurried, making the whole dining experience a compete treat. It was nice to see that the quality we both had remembered and expected to enjoy at the Wishing Well has remained constant over the years. It's one of Saratoga's best!

1  Thank Foxlair

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Meal was delicious! Atmosphere perfect! And waiters and waitresses were spot on and always there to serve. Highly recommend this place. Staff is also very friendly. A happy place!!

1  Thank justjudy2018
Reviewed 2 January 2018

A truly lovely place to eat. Warm cosy fireplaces, interesting clocks, dark wood add to the ambiance. The service is outstanding . The food was delicious. I would definitely go again for any occasion.

1  Thank David L
Reviewed 21 November 2017

The Wishing Well is one of our favorite fine dining venues. As usual we started with cocktails and cheese and crackers in the bar area. Then, off to dinner in one of the dining rooms. Dinner was very good as was the service.

1  Thank abarasol
Reviewed 18 October 2017

This place is like country-road restaurants of my youth (which was a while ago): white cloths, formal service, martinis served with a small "dividend." But the food is up-to-date. And, to my surprise, the other diners were not all old fogeys like us. Happily, the under-40 crowd also finds value and pleasure in a great old place like this.

1  Thank NJ_Voyageur