“Great hidden gem!!”

Ranked #153 of 266 Restaurants in White Plains
Cuisines: Cuban
Reviewed 20 December 2015 via mobile

What a great place!!
Food was excellent and our server Leo was great!! We were hungry and trying to finish our shopping so we decided to stop off at this Restuarant and we were very pleased!
Great place to dine and to take out
We had the mofongo and yellow rice and it was great!!
We also ordered pollo empanizado
Y bistec de palomilla !! Great choices here!!
Quaint place!!!
Great family environment!!

There are newer reviews for Karamba Cafe

Reviewed 20 November 2015

I preface my review with the following disclaimer: My husband and I came in at an awkward time, at around 3. Not lunch anymore and far from dinner time.

With that said, the food we were served seemed like it was reheated remnants from their lunch rush. It was delicious--I had the Pernil platter and my husband had the Oxtail stew--but definitely was not fresh. They also were out of sandwiches.

The after dinner coffee (Cafe con leche) we ordered was probably some of the best we've ever had. We'd like to give it another try and come back during brunch.

1  Thank Aileen T
Reviewed 27 October 2015

I understand when you lose my order that there can be delays. But when you freakin' tell me to contact the online company I ordered from to get a refund so I can pay you again in the location... well, that's just terrible customer service. Even if I was willing to do that, this place didn't even prepare me my order unless I could prove I paid. I waited an extra 20 minutes on top of the fact that I ordered over 40 minutes ago! Good thing White Plains was a little slow on ticketing overdue parking meters today. This would've REALLY made my day. Never again...

PS: Just because I look like I can speak Spanish, STOP TALKING TO ME IN SPANISH WHEN I TELL YOU I CAN'T!!! And don't give me an attitude when I tell you that. I'm Asian! That's just disrespectful.

1  Thank johnsicat
Reviewed 22 October 2015 via mobile

It was so bad it was comical and it's highly unlikely I'll ever return.
A friend and I both ordered iced tea, pernil, black beans, and salad -- she, the avocado salad and I lettuce, onion, and cucumber -- no tomato -- only because the waitress asked what specifically did I want in my salad.
The pernil was very skimpy, mostly skin. The beans were mainly sauce, very few beans. The waitress forgot the salad. When we asked what had become of the salad, she said, oh sorry and returned with a platter of shredded iceberg, some sliced onions and tomatoes. My friend then asked, what about the avocado salad? She replies, oh, oh, you wanted the avocado? And I said, and I asked for no tomato. She takes the salad back to the kitchen and returns few minutes later with the same platter without the tomatoes, but no cucumber. She then appears with another platter with shredded iceberg lettuce and some sliced avocado. I then mention that there was mostly sauce and few beans on my plate. She nods, smiles and says, I'll bring you some and returns with a small cup of beans. My friend has to depart because she had a meeting and I remain at the table checking my email and sipping my iced tea. When the waitress returns I ask her for the bill, to which she replies, sure, and can I clear this. I nod and she takes everything off the table including my iced tea, but leaves my friend's half empty glass behind. When she returns with the check, I say, you took my iced tea and she replies, uh, sorry.
We should have owed about $35.00, but she miscalculated and the total came in about $10.00 under, which in my estimation was still more than the value of the food and service we received, so I didn't bother to point it out to her. I left her a $2.00 tip, but doubt she even got the message I was trying to send her. I might add, the restaurant was not all that busy -- I can't imagine what it would have been like had she and the kitchen been expected to juggle other orders at the same time.

1  Thank Greyrockgal
Reviewed 12 August 2015

I grew up in the Bronx and ate very good spanish food. Karamba's food remind's me of the little whole in the wall place where I would frequent to get yellow rice, black beans, chicken, and plantains. Prices are very reasonable and it's a nice place to eat in or take out.