“Quaint, simple, nice and budget-friendly Capri”
Review of Hotel Bussola

Hotel Bussola
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Anacapri
Boston
Reviewed 17 May 2005

People expecting Ritz-Carlton type accomodations for the $80-$100 euro will be disappointed. People expecting a unique and solid homebase for exploring Capri will be happy.

If you shop for accomodations on Capri you will find that Bussola is one of the most reasonable and affordably priced on the island. There is not much at even twice the price on Capri. Based on the other postings it seems like people had set their expectations out of line with their budgets.

Bussola is quaint, lush with interesting vegitation(see picture), the rooms are clean, nice and comfortable and the hosts are very friendly and accomodating.

It is a little tricky to find but I would look at that as a positive little adventure because the road approaching Bussola is interesting and unique.

I would easily stay again here .

As far as other postings about the hosts -- it's similar to any B&B -- you can always catch the caretaker at an awkward time. You can't generalize about a person based on a 10 minute experience. These are genuinely nice people that enjoy sharing Capri with those that don't have their own motoryachts.

• Stayed: June 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Lancaster, UK
Reviewed 4 January 2005

We booked ahead and were met at Capri and taken to the hostel. Rita wasn't there and there was neither running water or heating working. Needless to say we left and had to get ourown taxi to Capri.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed 2 January 2005

I totally not agree with previous reviewers about Rita
I was with a group of friends there for 4 nights, and she was always friendly, helpful and it was a pleasure to meet here, even when she was working hard and the hotel was completely full she always hade time for us, telling what to do, where to eat and she also helped us a lot with our hotel in Napoli, we could use internet for free and she also made laundry for us.
We stayed in the new rooms at the second floor, from the room the view of the Baia di Napoli was amazing and special this new building is gourgeouse
Breakfast was awesome, staff was amazing and I would definetely stay again and tell to everybody
Rita is the best owner of hotel that I could meet in my long trip

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2004

By far the worst accomodation we had while travelling for several months around Europe.

The description of the hotel is misleading, the owners unprofessional and the rooms extremely overpriced. While our room had air conditioning, we were not permitted to keep the remote control (the only way of turning it on or off) and had to ask to have it switched on or off. Rita would only do this between certain hours of the day as she felt it was too expensive to run in the 30+ degree celcius weather.

The towels were tattered and had ugly brown stains and our room had a glass door opening onto a communal courtyard where the lights shone through all night and the people talking seemed to be in our room. We had to use our portable closeline to rig up a screen for the door so we could try to sleep. Unfortunately the water pipes were old and rattled late through the night preventing us from sleeping anyway.

We did not feel that our room was secure and found the staff to be rude, inflexible and unhelpful. We did receive the local advice that was mentioned in other reviews but it had the feel of a tired spiel that even Rita was bored with.

I strongly recommend you find somewhere else to stay, I can't see how this place can lead to anything but dissapointment on what is a lovely island. (Marina Piccola is an absolute delight)

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 October 2004

Prior to making this reservation, I read several good reviews about Rita who apparently runs this hostel. She was referred to as the Lovely Rita. I made our reservation approximately 6 months in advance and followed up with an email updating our new credit card expiration date. This email was confirmed by Rita. The day before leaving for Italy, I received an email from Rita stating that if I did not send my current credit card info, she was going to cancel my reservation and we would lose the private room we had booked. I responded that she already had this info and she replied "OK, thanks".

Upon arrival in Anacapri, we discovered the internet directions to the hostel were terribly incorrect. We spent a considerable amount of time "wandering aimlessly" and asking several people for directions. The room was very nice - no complaints - except that when we asked about security, she assured us it was not a problem. She indicated the door locks and the locked outside gate. We went out for several hours and when we returned, we explored the room further. We were quite surprised to open the drapes to the three sliding doors in the room and find that not only were they not locked, they did not even close properly. One of them was open a good 15 inches! Fortunately, we had no theft problem.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when we went to check out and leave. Rita took a phone call, which seemed to be a personal call. She kept us waiting at least 10-15 minutes while she talked on the phone. Another employee tried to check us out, but could not run our credit card since she had the phone line tied up. She finally hung up and I handed her my card. She informed me that they didn't accept credit cards! I told her that everything I had - emails, etc - indicated we could pay by credit card. She pointed to a sign above her desk - cash or travellers checks. My husband told her it was difficult to see the sign from the United States, but she was not humored. She finally said she would take the card, but would have to charge a commission. She continued to argue with us, then accused us of causing a problem in the first place by not sending the expiration date of our credit card! We really had no choice at this point - we were already quite late for the bus and boat off the island - and did not have the cash on hand. We paid by credit card, including the "commission".

After leaving the hostel, we met up with another couple who had also just checked out. Their story was quite similar - the "Lovely Rita" wasn't so lovely to them either.

FYI - this hostel does not have internet access for the guests - another misrepresentation.

• Stayed: October 2004
13  Thank rhs74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anacapri
0.6 km away
2.8 km away
Hotel Villa Sanfelice
Hotel Villa Sanfelice
#13 of 40 in Capri

Been to Hotel Bussola? Share your experiences!