“Nothing good but the location”
Review of Idlwilde Inn

Idlwilde Inn
Ranked #7 of 17 Watkins Glen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2017

There are only 2 positive things I can say about this place.
1. The location is beautiful. Close to Watkins Glen State park so perfect place after a day in the park.
2. The current owners are in the process of selling so they will no longer be there!

My husband and I stayed there Sunday, October 15, 2017. Without going into detail, I called Friday the 13th to see about the possibility of moving our reservation. When Maria (one of the owners) answered the phone, she was quick to tell me she was in a "very important meeting" and could not be on the phone. She dismissed my request without even listening to what I had to say. Long story short, I was hoping for a little compassion as we had a life altering event we had to attend to. I only asked to move the reservation, not cancel it as I know they are in business to make money and my request was last minute (though through no fault of my own). After her dismissal, I emailed, hoping to get through to someone rather than her as she was too busy or important to take a phone call from a paying guest. Needless to say, she answered my email with another curt response telling me how important she is and her meeting was very important and no, she could do nothing to move my reservation.

So, my husband and I attended to our daughter and went for only 1 night on Sunday. (2 night minimum). When we arrived on Sunday I was so glad we had skipped the first night and were only subject to stay there 1 night. we stayed in room 15 (in the carriage house). As soon as you open the door to the carriage house you are smacked in the face with the smell of mildew. They place REALLY needs to be redone. Things that were wrong int he room:
1. The floor is so sloped, whenever you walked toward the window facing the house, you are pulled down hill.
2. The "support" pole in the middle of the room is not even attached to the ceiling OR floor! I am assuming it was moved because there was a little "circle" of carpet as a patch in near the pole's current location.
3. NO amenities. No toiletries, no tissues, no extra blankets (on a 47 degree night!) or in the main house either. No tea or coffee or even water during the day, no snacks (cookies, chips - NOTHING). I have been in a few B&B's and they always provided at least afternoon tea, but not here.
5. When we checked in, my husband asked about the heat as there was no thermostat in our room. The control for the heat was in room 16 and he was told, if we wanted to control the heat and we wanted them to leave the room unlocked (even though it was unoccupied) we would have to pay for that room as well!
6. When he first asked for heat, Maria's response was "you want HEAT?" I know it was warm that day but it got down to 47 degrees that night, so yes, heat would be nice!
7. The furnishings are OLD and nothing matched. I have been in quaint B&B's before and mis matched furniture is ok, except all the chairs were on the "bottom of the hill" if you will (the bottom of the slope in the floor) and we were afraid to hit in any of them!
8. Also, there was no tv in the room. Now, I do not need a tv, however, that is something they should let people know in advance. We are avid foot ball fans and our team was playing that night. We found a brew pub in town to watch they game but they closed before the game was over!

On an up note, we did meet the new owners. He was staying there to get the lay of the land before the sale goes through. He did tell us they have many plans to make changes to the place. Let's hope they do because I would love to go back to the area, and like I said, the location is perfect and if the house were kept up and the owners nice and more accommodating, it could be a tremendous place.

Overall, the room was NOT worth $200 per night!

Room Tip: Stay in the main house, the carriage house reeks of mildew!
Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Marcus D, Owner at Idlwilde Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Idlwilde is under new ownership, and we can't wait to have you back for another visit! As of November, Elin and Marcus have been working non-stop to make the Idlwilde Inn into their new home and business. With so much to build on thanks to the previous owners, we feel there's nothing but upside as we work to make every aspect of your stay with us pleasant, enjoyable and rejuvenating. So please, give us the chance to provide you with a wonderful stay in this gorge-ous locale!

Reviewed 17 October 2017

We enjoyed our 3rd story turret room and the wonderful hospitality of the Idlwilde Inn. Breakfast was fantastic and the hostess was very personable and accommodating. Room was charming; bed was comfortable. Turret and outside deck were wonderful to enjoy the fantastic views of Seneca Lake. The hostess/owner offered advice to enjoy the local/regional activities and sights. Only negatives: coffee wasn't warm enough; would be good to have TVs in each room; mattress could have been firmer; water pressure in shower was a bit weak; we weren't told of the wifi option (did it exist?), would have been nice to have a microwave to heat up my leftovers that I saved in the 'communal' refrigerator. We shared our thoughts with the potential new buyer. Hope to return next year!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 September 2017

This inn is spacious, a huge old mansion and is in a very scenic location near the top of a hill and on a very large lot. Great porch to sip coffee in the morning. Wonderful host and nice breakfast. Large sitting rooms downstairs.

Room Tip: Call the owner about room locations and sizes Inn is on a quite lot so traffic noice is not an issu...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2017

We have been staying at this B&B for about 16 years. Every time we arrive, it's like being part of the family. Everyone is so friendly and accommodating. They make good recommendations on restaurants and sights in the area, if needed. Breakfasts are great, and the service is excellent. Whenever we leave, we make a reservation for "Same time, next year'. The house has been lovingly restored and decorated. Sitting on the porch, sipping an adult beverage, makes you feel transported back in time to the days of peace and warm hospitality.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have great views. It really did not matter to us, we spent more time out of the room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Nestled high above the bustle of the town, guests are treated like family! Rooms impeccably decorated & maintained, a peaceful porch with a beautiful view of the lake and a delicious, made from scratch breakfast, never the same two days in a row! Thank you John & Maria for all the labors of love you put in to make your guests feel like they are home!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

The Local
#6 of 7 in Watkins Glen
4.6 km away
Burdett House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Idlwilde Inn? Share your experiences!