There are only 2 positive things I can say about this place.
1. The location is beautiful. Close to Watkins Glen State park so perfect place after a day in the park.
2. The current owners are in the process of selling so they will no longer be there!
My husband and I stayed there Sunday, October 15, 2017. Without going into detail, I called Friday the 13th to see about the possibility of moving our reservation. When Maria (one of the owners) answered the phone, she was quick to tell me she was in a "very important meeting" and could not be on the phone. She dismissed my request without even listening to what I had to say. Long story short, I was hoping for a little compassion as we had a life altering event we had to attend to. I only asked to move the reservation, not cancel it as I know they are in business to make money and my request was last minute (though through no fault of my own). After her dismissal, I emailed, hoping to get through to someone rather than her as she was too busy or important to take a phone call from a paying guest. Needless to say, she answered my email with another curt response telling me how important she is and her meeting was very important and no, she could do nothing to move my reservation.
So, my husband and I attended to our daughter and went for only 1 night on Sunday. (2 night minimum). When we arrived on Sunday I was so glad we had skipped the first night and were only subject to stay there 1 night. we stayed in room 15 (in the carriage house). As soon as you open the door to the carriage house you are smacked in the face with the smell of mildew. They place REALLY needs to be redone. Things that were wrong int he room:
1. The floor is so sloped, whenever you walked toward the window facing the house, you are pulled down hill.
2. The "support" pole in the middle of the room is not even attached to the ceiling OR floor! I am assuming it was moved because there was a little "circle" of carpet as a patch in near the pole's current location.
3. NO amenities. No toiletries, no tissues, no extra blankets (on a 47 degree night!) or in the main house either. No tea or coffee or even water during the day, no snacks (cookies, chips - NOTHING). I have been in a few B&B's and they always provided at least afternoon tea, but not here.
5. When we checked in, my husband asked about the heat as there was no thermostat in our room. The control for the heat was in room 16 and he was told, if we wanted to control the heat and we wanted them to leave the room unlocked (even though it was unoccupied) we would have to pay for that room as well!
6. When he first asked for heat, Maria's response was "you want HEAT?" I know it was warm that day but it got down to 47 degrees that night, so yes, heat would be nice!
7. The furnishings are OLD and nothing matched. I have been in quaint B&B's before and mis matched furniture is ok, except all the chairs were on the "bottom of the hill" if you will (the bottom of the slope in the floor) and we were afraid to hit in any of them!
8. Also, there was no tv in the room. Now, I do not need a tv, however, that is something they should let people know in advance. We are avid foot ball fans and our team was playing that night. We found a brew pub in town to watch they game but they closed before the game was over!
On an up note, we did meet the new owners. He was staying there to get the lay of the land before the sale goes through. He did tell us they have many plans to make changes to the place. Let's hope they do because I would love to go back to the area, and like I said, the location is perfect and if the house were kept up and the owners nice and more accommodating, it could be a tremendous place.
Overall, the room was NOT worth $200 per night!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We invite you to come experience Idlwilde Inn in the heart of Finger Lakes wine country in Upstate New York. Located on 3 acres in the picturesque town of Watkins Glen, NY our full service bed and breakfast offers sweeping views of Seneca Lake, a full breakfast every morning, Free Wi-Fi, parking, concierge services and all the amenities the modern traveler requires. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Idlwilde Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.