New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“My favorite charity!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Farm Sanctuary

Farm Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: This farm offers sanctuary and a home for abused farm animals, and helps to educate Americans about treating animals with respect and compassion.
Hartford, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“My favorite charity!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

I have been a Farm Sanctuary supporter for years, and for our wine country visit in 2008, my husband and I decided to stay in the cabins and have the private tour.

We found the staff to be welcoming and very pleasant, even though we were there during the final weekend that the rentals were offered before closing for the winter season. The cabins are cozy and needing to go to the main 'barn' in order to use facilities and shower was not a hardship at all.

The animals are, of course, the high point! I loved our tour and the chance to visit with the animals, get pictures taken and interact with the cows, goats and sheep, turkeys & pigs! We go back as often as possible.

Visited October 2011
7 Thank BraidedBear

Knoxville, Tennessee
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Not for a weak stomach”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I adore animals and was thrilled about visiting a sanctuary that saves animals from torture and abuse. I was very turned off when we walked into the main waiting area and saw gruesome posters of tortured animals. While I love cows and pigs, I am not a vegan. I do not believe in animal cruelty, but do believe in our right to eat meat. We immediately got the vibe that everyone around us were vegan extremists. We had not noticed the propaganda prior to paying the $5 per person entrance fee. We left after we were told that we had to endure a film before touring the farm. (I could only imagine what that would have been like after viewing the brochures and photos on the walls) I felt good about our $10 donation to helping the animals, but did not think we could handle the message they were about to give us.

8 Thank JeanB37
Ossining, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“An AWESOME Experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

I'd love to come back as an animal in the sanctuary, there is nothing that they want for. It was a wonderful and eye opening experience to know the cruelty these animals face. It is wonderful to learn that these animals are so docile and friendly. On the tour you are taken into these animals' pens and able to interact with them. i have never been that close to such a huge cow or pig!! these animals just stand there and love the attention of you scratching their bellies and backs!

Visited September 2011
4 Thank clover1991
Mississauga, Canada
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Inspiring Experience at the Farm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

My fiancé and I visited Farm Sanctuary during our stay in Watkins Glen and we had an incredible experience there. It is so amazing that such an organization exists and the farm is a beautiful place for the animals to live. I was so happy to meet these "ambassadors" for the billions of animals that suffer the cruelty of factory farms and that there are at least some animals that are rescued from these savage conditions. The tour guides are helpful, knowledgable and cheerful. The animals are provided with ample opportunities to make their own choices, whether to interact with humans or not, spend time indoors or outdoors, etc. There is a great education centre inside the "People Barn" where we watched a short movie about factory farming and the history of Farm Sanctuary, plus there were many pamphlets, information boards, and more.

As a lifelong vegetarian and animal lover, I was so inspired by my visit to Farm Sanctuary that I have decided to cut out all animal products from my diet and go vegan. I wish that everyone could be fully educated on factory farms and would at least be able to visit this incredible sanctuary for rescued farm animals.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank JustinPlusLauren
Fairfield, CT
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Peaceful, Beautiful and Inspiring”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Took my 17-year-old son and my friend brought her 16-year-old daughter. The staff and and interns are great, the site is bigger than I thought--the 25 years of work for animal rights
are inspiring.